new fisho to freshwater

marks1984

hey hey how is everyone? I am new to carp fishing just a few questions.

I will be fishing in a fairly small dam which I know there is carp, do the following questions have any significance

sun rise, morning, lunch time, late afternoon, night

high or low barometer

Hi mate in the dams I fish for carp first and last light are definitely peak times to catch them but this may be more to do with the amount of boat activity in the area during the day. In saying that I have caught them all hours of the day especially in water with enough clarity to sight fish for them.

I have never taken any notice of the barometer when targeting them.

• Like 2

What they said. Just go for it!. Best baits: Earthworms, corn kernels, bread dough, freshwater shrimps. Primarily bottom feeders so that's a good place to start but they are targeted on the surface using fly fishing methods also. Good luck, bn

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marks1984 said:

What about season winter or summer 

In an environment like a small dam you can catch them any time of year. They are prolific breeders and survive when other fish perish. They feed continuously swimming with their heads down and sucking up all the mud. In Summer they are likely to be feeding on things floating on the surface. bn

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 9:46 AM, marks1984 said:

thanks guys I know bread n corn catches them is one better than the other? and what about soft plastics 

Mmm, have caught them on hard bodies and softs, but in my mind I really think they were just very hungry. I have only a few times really specifically targeted them even though I have caught them on dozens of occasions. All up the most was using the humble worm. And the best worms I have ever used, whether it be reddies, trout, yellows, or mongrel carp, have been the pale type with a white whatever section, sure some here will know the worm type I mean, not the red wigglers that smell but the type you get just digging up the garden. Not a lot of smell, but a good firm worm, more than a wiggler,and they dont have the ability to stretch out as much as the red garden worms either,  that when you hook them also exude a bit of liquid. Id back them over the red wrigglers any day no ifs or buts for any fish. 

Edited by TAZ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TAZ said:

Mmm, have caught them on hard bodies and softs, but in my mind I really think they were just very hungry. I have only a few times really specifically targeted them even though I have caught them on dozens of occasions. All up the most was using the humble worm. And the best worms I have ever used, whether it be reddies, trout, yellows, or mongrel carp, have been the pale type with a white whatever section, sure some here will know the worm type I mean, not the red wigglers that smell but the type you get just digging up the garden. Not a lot of smell, but a good firm worm, more than a wiggler,and they dont have the ability to stretch out as much as the red garden worms either,  that when you hook them also exude a bit of liquid. Id back them over the red wrigglers any day no ifs or buts for any fish. 

What TAZ is saying here is get the ordinary grey coloured earthworms from sandy soil areas. Don't get too hung up on this or that bait. Carp are real gutsers and feed often. Find the Carp and they will take any of the BAITS mentioned. They are not caught as regularly on soft plastics and hard bodies.

Get out there Marks1984 and post the results...we're all hanging out for it. LOL, bn

• Like 2

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

What TAZ is saying here is get the ordinary grey coloured earthworms from sandy soil areas. Don't get too hung up on this or that bait. Carp are real gutsers and feed often. Find the Carp and they will take any of the BAITS mentioned. They are not caught as regularly on soft plastics and hard bodies.

Get out there Marks1984 and post the results...we're all hanging out for it. LOL, bn

Yeah mate, they'd be the ones. 

• Like 1