30 Nov 2019 - a strange day!

anthman

Hi all, another brief report.

Went out to the middle harbour spot featured in JYL's YouTube channel for a chance at a king - Saturday morning was windy and warm.  Got a Yakka, sent it down whilst soaking a variety of other baits (pilchard, squid and my favourite, yabbies). No luck on any of the baits and Yakka - only managed to catch my other lines with the trouble the wind was causing! Three hours later we moved onto the moorings around the spit area - dropped the Yakka down and after a while it got smoked but alas, leader knot failure! Apologies to the local residents for my brief but intense bout of profanities.

Packed up and just about to drive back to the ramp we spot a few bust ups on the surface - for the next 20min there were tailor busting up all around us (small patches appearing, disappearing and appearing again). Managed to land one, lost three - during which time we saw overcast cloudy weather, high winds with heavy downpour then intense sunshine, strange weather!

Not much in the way of taking home a feed but I thought I would share this photo of a nice catch to remind us all of what's out there (and to match the hatch) - about 4cm.

Bonus report: headed out on the water on Sunday on a no-fishing drive - saw about 50birds flocking a massive bustup at no other than right under the harbour bridge about 8am - squarely in the no stopping channel.

20191130_122707.jpg

Edited by anthman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, anthman said:

Not much in the way of taking home a feed but I thought I would share this photo of a nice catch to remind us all of what's out there (and to match the hatch) - about 4cm.

Out of curiosity, and only if you don't mind sharing your top secrets, could you describe the rig and technique you used to land that bewdy?

Cheers Z

25 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Out of curiosity, and only if you don't mind sharing your top secrets, could you describe the rig and technique you used to land that bewdy?

Cheers Z

In the true FishRaider spirit, im more than happy to. It's heavily thought out and considered method, so I hope it brings you the same return as it did for me;

1. Drive around for ages, looking for bustups

2. Throw lure of your choice into the activity, catch a pelagic.

3. Whilst trying to unhook caught pelagic, observe for any fish ejected from the thrashing mouth of said pelagic.

4. Carefully pick up an ejected fish that is mostly in original form and place on nearest bait board.

5. Finally, zoom in and take photo.

Tip: in performing step 3, ensure you do not step on ejected fish. If you have, repeat steps 1. and 2.

Edited by anthman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4