Rare Alvey Wanted

Green Hornet

I'm searching for quite a rare reel to add to my collection, an Alvey 50 A53, which is a 5 inch, cedar spooled, blackfish reel (narrow spool).

If anyone has one they don't want or know someone who has one, I'd love to buy it from you.

This is the only pic I could find of one on the net.

50A53.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Also another interesting fact for all.

In 54 days, 2 hours & 25 minutes Alvey will be celebrating 100 years of making reels.

Nice bit of Aussie history, glad they are still going!

https://alvey.com.au/

Bruce Alvey was telling me just over a year ago (when closing was on the cards) that they make their reels too well! How many manufacturers can claim their reels have been handed down from grandfather to son to grandson and are still just as good as the day they were made? 

You can't drop an eggbeater or an overhead in the sand and water and not expect huge problems! Get sand in your Alvey and you simply dip it in the water and give it a shake- good to go again immediately and even if you don't clean it when you get home- still ok!

Long live Alvey! Countless benefits of using them

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Also another interesting fact for all.

In 54 days, 2 hours & 25 minutes Alvey will be celebrating 100 years of making reels.

Nice bit of Aussie history, glad they are still going!

https://alvey.com.au/

Yeah, there is some pretty nice Alvey centenary tackle being launched to celebrate.

The new junior tackle box (already released) looks nice and can't wait to see their new cedar reels.

So good to see Alvey rise from the ashes and prosper.

7 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Bruce Alvey was telling me just over a year ago (when closing was on the cards) that they make their reels too well! How many manufacturers can claim their reels have been handed down from grandfather to son to grandson and are still just as good as the day they were made? 

You can't drop an eggbeater or an overhead in the sand and water and not expect huge problems! Get sand in your Alvey and you simply dip it in the water and give it a shake- good to go again immediately and even if you don't clean it when you get home- still ok!

I was still using my late uncle's Alvey hand me downs that were around 60 years old before they were stolen and they were still as good as new. Partly why I'm looking to replace them, in respect to him.

Some beach fishos purposely dunk their Alvey in the water before a session to saturate their line. With all that stirred up sand floating around, I can't bring myself to trying that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

No probs.

Just curious where you are getting your info from?

Id like to find more info on the one I have but finding info is hard, cant even find specific model info in the Alvey site,

If you have some links could you PM them to me please.

Cheers

Adrian

Replied by PM

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Just in a friend’s antiques shop and found this Alvey  

it’s a side cast about 6.5in  

PM me for details of shop if interested  

cheers Zoran 

image.thumb.jpg.260a7374d2bebeb6970452290fbdd47a.jpg

Thanks for going to the trouble, but I already have one similar. That's a 650 A series.

Hi Green Hornet

Of all the old models, the 50A53 is one of the hardest to find. I got a 500 A3/7 on one of the buy swap and sell sites about 2 months ago- it is identical to the 50A5E except is Cedar with the Rosewood stain- I think it pre-dates the 50 series number wise, but is the same reel you are looking for. I needed it to complete my Alvey collection, as I have all the other plain series (post "Y" back models) Took me ages to find it because as you know, most old Blackie fishers that have one just won't part with them- too many memories I guess and they take pride of place on the display shelf.

Just wanted you to know that the same reel you're looking for has the 2 sets of numbers- cost me about $70 (bargain I thought!), but had been looking for the model for ages only under the 50A series numbering. Hope this helps, will keep an eye out for you.

Regards Waza

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Very true waza, these days you buy something like a $1000 mobile phone & you know you will need to replace it in 5 years or less.

They do make their reels very well which is testament to how long they last & why they are rarely replaced.

Thing is, which is probably what they have worked out is that you have to be able to tap into new markets(Aust & International), new generations & new concepts like saltwater fly that is huge now to be able to generate sales.

Good to hear they are still going!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Very true waza, these days you buy something like a $1000 mobile phone & you know you will need to replace it in 5 years or less.

They do make their reels very well which is testament to how long they last & why they are rarely replaced.

Thing is, which is probably what they have worked out is that you have to be able to tap into new markets(Aust & International), new generations & new concepts like saltwater fly that is huge now to be able to generate sales.

Good to hear they are still going!

High Kingie chaser, as a "dedicated" Alvey user for over 40 yrs, I was horrified when they announced closure was imminent in late 2017 and rang Bruce Alvey for a chat about the reasoning. Sadly, electricity prices at the time was one of the main the problems, however, some other factors had combined to reach critical decision time. 

Superlines had become an issue, as they aren't really an option for most sidecast users, due to the dangers of cut fingers while "cross-winding" and also casting. The advantages of these new lines, especially for lure fishing is without question. Add to that, the newer generation of fishers are into "high-end" threadlines matched with "matchstick" weighted new age rods. Lure fishing also, has long taken over from more "traditional" bait fishing and realistically, the threadlines of today are far, far lighter and better made than in years past, enabling the pursuit of much larger fish on 'smaller' lightweight tackle- it's easy to understand the shift in consumer desires due to this alone- 

However, anyone who's fished both the beaches with bait and particularly the rocks for ALL non lure styles of fishing, knows the value of using Alvey's. The sand/water 'intrusions' of any reels can render them malfunctioning or of a definite shorter life span, not so the Alvey. 

Rock fishers also know the advantage of being able to "give/no-give" line at the critical washing-up stage of the fight, something that can't be done with the degree of accuracy using any other type of reel. No doubt, plenty might disagree with this statement, however, it is the case.

I have a really nice collection of reels (quite a lot posted on Noelm's "old things" post a few months ago) and like using all types, but Alvey's, to me at least, will always have a place in our fishing!

Regards Waza

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Not real clear picture but definitely same reel545174976_ALVEYANDFLOATS022.thumb.JPG.eaa8444cc91b329f55584e9788b6d4da.JPG

Did you score this gem off an Alvey FB page? If so I think we spoke about it on there.

Ironically I had just discovered and applied to join that page, took 3 days to be accepted and when I logged in saw this reel and had just been sold. Lucky for you bummer for me haha.

Thanks for the tip about the numbering. Hopefully I can find one one day.

15 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Green Hornet

Of all the old models, the 50A53 is one of the hardest to find. I got a 500 A3/7 on one of the buy swap and sell sites about 2 months ago- it is identical to the 50A5E except is Cedar with the Rosewood stain- I think it pre-dates the 50 series number wise, but is the same reel you are looking for. I needed it to complete my Alvey collection, as I have all the other plain series (post "Y" back models) Took me ages to find it because as you know, most old Blackie fishers that have one just won't part with them- too many memories I guess and they take pride of place on the display shelf.

Just wanted you to know that the same reel you're looking for has the 2 sets of numbers- cost me about $70 (bargain I thought!), but had been looking for the model for ages only under the 50A series numbering. Hope this helps, will keep an eye out for you.

Regards Waza

According to the numbers on the metal spine in mine I have a 500/A3 

444656111_20191202_203417(2).thumb.jpg.3710e6f1ba46cab2edf0ac642de33044.jpg

20191202_203304.thumb.jpg.3685cb3e368a63b188d35bea71901dae.jpg

1201545575_thumbnail_20191202_203238(2).jpg.2b72407838c080f4f66213f58d52a7bc.jpg

20191202_203443.thumb.jpg.3f3c54e0abb4ad0e8a20528deb974ad1.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2