Fresh Squid?

Rod84

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good shop I can get fresh squid from around Gosford, Woy Woy area? I know you guys are going to tell me to catch it, but I never seem to be able to get them.

If you want real fresh squid for kingfish or Jews then you need ones which have never been frozen or kept on ice for a significant period. Fish market and shop squid wont do because it’s begun to degrade and has that peculiar ageing smell that squid gets which puts these fish off. It might work for bream etc, but not predators oriented towards whole living squid.

the only option I think is that shop near the roundabout on Ocean Beach and Woy Woy Road. It’s called Witchards. The brother of the owner is one of the commercial squid and prawn fishermen based in Patonga. He brings his catch into the shop fresh about three times a week. The days are regular but I forget which ones they are. If you time your arrival with his then you will get squid caught just a few hours before and kept in an ice slurry. If you explain what you want and why to the shop staff they will understand and give you guidance on how to get what you want.

The only catch is the beds are decimated and catches are not regular like they used to be. Some days there is none.

i Guess another option is to deal direct with the commercial squid fishermen. There is one in Patonga who will sell small quantities direct to anglers but I hesitate to put his details here in case it’s the wrong thing to do. Again, you need to fit in with his schedule because you don’t represent much income to him so can’t expect him to go out of his way. I usually just intercept his boat at the wharf and see what he has. 

a third option is to use Lunds squid. This is the packeted Californian squid sold at many tackle shops. It’s hi-tech snap frozen at sea so although it’s frozen it’s in a different league to the local product. It’s almost as good as fresh dead squid. Again, a catch, the season is late this year so any in the shops is last season’s, and there will be a hiatus of a couple of months before the new stock arrives. You may struggle to buy any for a few weeks so if you see any then stock up.

Edited by Volitan

On 12/5/2019 at 4:53 PM, Rebel said:

I am not really interested in catching jewfish. The Coles squid is fresh and catches a variety of fish. It works for me.

Cheers.

do you mean the squid tubes? i dont recall ever seeing whole ones in supermarkets

and yes i ve also heard lund squid will be gone for a few months as the catch is not good in california this year

On 12/2/2019 at 7:25 PM, Volitan said:

Confirming:

D and L Witchards Seafoods, Ocean Beach Road.

standard disclaimer - I have no connection with them, just an occasional customer.

I also go there can vouch for them