Ramsgate Beach 3 December 2019

LandBasedKeith

Haven't been out for a while due to the bad weather. Got really bored so i brave the Smokey Haze today. Once i am out on the groyne, it is a lot better than i expected. At least no burnt wood smell or i am too busy fishing, i didn't noticed. But i do notice that i was the only one fishing!

Windy in the morning according WillyWeather so decide to start late. Pickup some stringy weed at the local creek. Got careless and fell into the creek:( Luckily only got a bit wet but the shoes got mud all over and they smell. Got to Ramsgate beach by 11:30pm but didn't get to start fishing until 12 noon as i need to wash the mud off my shoes and lower pant.  It is mid tide toward high and the wind is blowing outward. Lots and Lots of blackfish as there are bites everywhere. It doesn't take long for the float to go down but hookup is not so sure. Anyway, i bag out by 2pm. I knew i had a few about 28cm in the keeper net. i found 3, release them and continue to fish. The second around is a lot slower and hookup rate dropped even further. It takes me 2 hours to catch the next 3. As i was landing the last fish(about 4pm), i saw something big trailing it. The blackfish is 30cm and whatever behind it is 3 time as long.  I quickly took out my lure rod and flick out a hardbody lure. After 3 flick, i got a bite right next to my feet but no hookup and nothing after that. I still didn't get a good look at it but i believe they are tailor. Tailor get fire up just after the sun goes down. I wish i can stay until dark but my mum is waiting for my fresh fish for dinner hence i went home  at 5pm with a bag full of blackfishes(10).

In the next 3 days, good wind condition in the morning. So i may have another blackfish session before going to The Entrance prawning this weekend.

Blackfishes2ndDec.thumb.JPG.f6c57d20d262fe4ceb6684dbe771a775.JPG

• Like 8

nice catch.. but dont think you do well this weekend at the entrance.. not sure if it makes any difference to you, moon phase has changed. so fingers cross, but hope you do well. if u do well. i'll might convince myself to go on monday :)

21 hours ago, papafish said:

nice catch.. but dont think you do well this weekend at the entrance.. not sure if it makes any difference to you, moon phase has changed. so fingers cross, but hope you do well. if u do well. i'll might convince myself to go on monday :)

You are correct it is the wrong moon phase but with the smoke haze, there are no moon at all. Maybe the prawns are all knowing without seeing, there are hardly any prawn run. What make it worse is the wind. Too windy, difficult to prawn with the LED Headlamp. People with underwater lamp may do better?!  I caught just over 1kg, enough for a feed.

People fishing had better luck us prawning.  A group of people caught a Jewfish 1.4m long. I heard because they are so excited, they shouted to each other its length back & forth, taking turn taking picture with the fish. Then this 2 dudes come along and question the actual length of the fish. It don't look 1.4m to me either. Anyway, they measured it with their own tape and the fish is in fact 1.04m long. It is still a pretty good fish!