Show us your Alvey's. Aussie to the bones & proud of it!

kingie chaser

Yeah, the polyurethane job on the reel is poorly done. Put on way to thick leaving a dimpled finish and too glossy in my opinion.

I'll sand it back until smooth and refinish in semi gloss estapol.

The tackle boxes are quite collectable and can fetch big money for a good one. I got this one for a pittance really.

I have a few including a cedar spool job but here is the latest Christmas present...IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.55377cca1eae0065b77466ae0c5d71af.jpgIMG_1318.thumb.jpg.ba36a02996a7cebe1d53483404cbb1d1.jpg

... I ordered this when I though Alvey were going under but now it seems the rush of orders and a little restructuring has revived them indefinitely.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

I have a few including a cedar spool job but here is the latest Christmas present...IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.55377cca1eae0065b77466ae0c5d71af.jpgIMG_1318.thumb.jpg.ba36a02996a7cebe1d53483404cbb1d1.jpg

... I ordered this when I though Alvey were going under but now it seems the rush of orders and a little restructuring has revived them indefinitely.

Cheers

Jim

Mad colours on the new reels Jim! Probably last until Alvey's bicentenary ! Great idea with laser etching

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Here is a link to the history of the reels.

If you have Facebook and 20 mins have a look

That’s a great video of the iconic family business, I hope they do well into the future 

ps. Looks like someone might’ve added another reel to there collection 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, Green Hornet said:

I received a 100 year, centenary  reel yesterday. Limited edition #84 of 200.

One beautiful reel and the cedar spool is immaculate. 

Sadly the photos don't do it justice.

4X9A0804-Edit.jpg

4X9A0805.jpg

4X9A0808-Edit-Edit.jpg

WOW, that is an amazingly detailed bit of timber & obviously it should never see the sea.

With anything commemorative its all about keeping it in its original state imo but that's where the appreciation is not it its use but the history.

Again not that I have the spare coin atm but cant even find where to try & get one 😥

A very cool bit of gear to have in the cabinet & keep for the next couple of generations 😀

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Here is a link to the history of the reels.

If you have Facebook and 20 mins have a look

That is something that I have been looking forward to seeing.

A showcase of a history & also a vision for the future.

While I don't need any new gear right now my next reel purchase will be one of their spinning models.  

They look every bit as good or if not better than anything coming out of Japan or anywhere else by foreign companies!

I am just glad these guys didn't go under but we all need to support local industry here so hope we all get behind them & also that much needed export market opens new doors for them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Again not that I have the spare coin atm but cant even find where to try & get one 😥

The majority of these reels were sold on pre-order. The few that weren't were snapped up very quick.

They are also producing a carbon / titanium, limited edition sidecast reel (500) but I don't know the release date.

The orbiter spin reels are getting some very positive reviews, plus Alvey are set to release a range of overheads as well.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Green Hornet said:

Thought I'd revive this thread as one of my isolation projects has been to restore the cedar spool of a reel I posted above.

Pretty happy with the results.

Web 1.jpg

4X9A0848.jpg

They almost look like 2 different reels.

The top one looks heavily lacquered or is that the before shot?

17 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

They almost look like 2 different reels.

The top one looks heavily lacquered or is that the before shot?

Hi KC The lacquered one is the before shot, Green Hornet has done a fantastic job in the restore- better than Alvey in my opinion. Super impressive

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi KC The lacquered one is the before shot, Green Hornet has done a fantastic job in the restore- better than Alvey in my opinion. Super impressive

Thanks Waza, I was just checking & I was just being polite because whoever did that top refurb should be a purveyor of meat if you get my drift 😉😂

Yes its a really nice looking piece now, I have done a bit of wood refinishing myself for diy projects & it a rewarding thing sitting back after its all done & looking at the before & after shots!

• Like 3

@kingie chaserYes, they are before and after shots of the same reel. I haven't really figured out how to add a pic, then more text before another pic.

I bought it to replace the same model that was stolen and was more concerned about the condition of the chrome than the timber, knowing I could always restore the timber.

It replaces a reel that was handed down to me by my uncle around 50 years ago.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...