2nd hand mercury 2-stroke

MidNrthFisho

Hi all,

I am finally looking to get my first boat, and think I have settled on a likely 2nd hand option. Only problem is that it has a mercury 2 stroke on the back when I was hoping to get a 4 stroke. 

My question is whether I should be wary of the 2 stroke, or if I am being precious? 

it’s a 2011 60hp mercury elpto (‘black box’) with low hours (around 50-100) and looks to be well kept. should I be worried about the older technology?

Also - what would the price difference roughly be between that and a similar 4 stroke?

looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks

Mike

Nothing to be wary about relative to a 4 stroke. It's a simpler technology with less to go wrong/ easier to fix, which makes it a good proposition second hand. It will be cheaper than an equivalent boat with a 4 stroke but it's hard to put a number on it given that there are so many variables in the boats on the market.

Try not to get mixed with with a two stroke being an older technology than a 4 stroke. That model looks like it is injected so it will be less smokey than you think and a lot quieter. Two stokes from a while ago, were loud and smokey and when there is a 4 v 2 stroke talk, that's what people think of.

Run the engine and see how you go. Remember to flush it after every run and start it up before you go. Save up for a four stroke, I think, from memory, a 4 stroke Yamaha 60 will set you back around 10K.

A well looked after, regularly used engine will be better than one that isn't and that goes for 4 and 2 strokes.

I have a 2 stroke and I can occasionally notice the smell.

28 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

Try not to get mixed with with a two stroke being an older technology than a 4 stroke. That model looks like it is injected so it will be less smokey than you think and a lot quieter. Two stokes from a while ago, were loud and smokey and when there is a 4 v 2 stroke talk, that's what people think of.

Run the engine and see how you go. Remember to flush it after every run and start it up before you go. Save up for a four stroke, I think, from memory, a 4 stroke Yamaha 60 will set you back around 10K.

A well looked after, regularly used engine will be better than one that isn't and that goes for 4 and 2 strokes.

I have a 2 stroke and I can occasionally notice the smell.

But I think the elpto Mercury is just oil injected, so it just means you don't premix the fuel yourself and is old technology. In the Mercury you have to go to the Optimax for direct injection/ high tech.

• Like 1