Few days at Jindy

Mullatt

Finally get to post a report, albeit not fantastic but nevertheless a report. Haven't been able to get out in the boat too much for quite a few years now. Firstly because both my hips have been riddled with arthritis for years and then been recovering and gaining use of everything again after I had both of them totally replaced last year (right one unfortunately dislocated 4 days after replacement, so 3 ops in 10 days slowed me down for some time).

Wife and I took the boat to Jindabyne for a few days midweek. Weather was up and down, but mostly quite windy every day. There were only 1 - 2 other boats on the water so plenty of clear water available. Have been fishing Jindy for over 50 years and its certainly a place in recent years that you have to put the hours in on the water. Sometimes you can come across a patch of fish, other times hours for a doughnut.

The sounder was showing a few fish hanging on the rocky points and around submerged timber around the 12 - 15 ft mark. Water temp is still quite cool at around 15 degrees.

First day spent about 4 hours out for not one touch. Had a lead core line out and a couple of flat lines. Oh well, thats fishing hey.....and the food and the beers at the pub are always very inviting so it wasn't a complete loss.

Next day,  back on the water for another go. Very windy again, so had to hug the shorelines away from the prevailing winds. Scored a couple of small rainbows on the flat lines on Tassie devils, all were released. 

Decided we would have one last troll around one of the bays before calling it a day (as you do), then just as we were saying that's enough, my wife's flat line went off like a train.

It was obvious it was a good fish, and after a decent fight she boated a lovely fat brown. Was just under 60 cms and I guessed 3 - 4 pounds. She was stoked. Kept this one for the table.

A nice end to a few days away.

Thanks for reading.

Dave (Mullatt)

IMAG4219.jpg

IMAG4215.jpg

IMAG4216.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/4/2019 at 5:10 PM, Mullatt said:

Finally get to post a report, albeit not fantastic but nevertheless a report. Haven't been able to get out in the boat too much for quite a few years now. Firstly because both my hips have been riddled with arthritis for years and then been recovering and gaining use of everything again after I had both of them totally replaced last year (right one unfortunately dislocated 4 days after replacement, so 3 ops in 10 days slowed me down for some time).

Wife and I took the boat to Jindabyne for a few days midweek. Weather was up and down, but mostly quite windy every day. There were only 1 - 2 other boats on the water so plenty of clear water available. Have been fishing Jindy for over 50 years and its certainly a place in recent years that you have to put the hours in on the water. Sometimes you can come across a patch of fish, other times hours for a doughnut.

The sounder was showing a few fish hanging on the rocky points and around submerged timber around the 12 - 15 ft mark. Water temp is still quite cool at around 15 degrees.

First day spent about 4 hours out for not one touch. Had a lead core line out and a couple of flat lines. Oh well, thats fishing hey.....and the food and the beers at the pub are always very inviting so it wasn't a complete loss.

Next day,  back on the water for another go. Very windy again, so had to hug the shorelines away from the prevailing winds. Scored a couple of small rainbows on the flat lines on Tassie devils, all were released. 

Decided we would have one last troll around one of the bays before calling it a day (as you do), then just as we were saying that's enough, my wife's flat line went off like a train.

It was obvious it was a good fish, and after a decent fight she boated a lovely fat brown. Was just under 60 cms and I guessed 3 - 4 pounds. She was stoked. Kept this one for the table.

A nice end to a few days away.

Thanks for reading.

Dave (Mullatt)

IMAG4219.jpg

IMAG4215.jpg

IMAG4216.jpg

Great smokers there! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

"That's the thing about Jindy, its not great weather for very long so you have to make do & work out where to get out of the wind."

Great Report Dave.  I was on Jindy in early October, a week after bobbing around in JB during some decent swells.  I was fine for hours in JB - but the wind and chop of Jindabyne had my whole boatload of passengers (including me) green to the gills in 1 hour flat!  

It wasn't even that windy...ive been up there in much worse (but not on the water).  

• Like 1