Media Alert - Learn how to service yours for free this weekend at Ermington and Kymeeagh

mrsswordfisherman

Lifejackets save lives! Learn how to service yours for free this weekend at Ermington and Kymeeagh

Boaters are encouraged to attend one of the free lifejacket clinics being held across NSW, as part of the successful NSW Government ‘Wear a Lifejacket’ program.

The clinics will be held at Ermington Boat Ramp, Wharf Road, Ermington on Saturday 7 December from 9am – 12pm and Lyeemagh Boat Ramp, Mutch Road Kyeemagh on Sunday 8 December from 9am – 12pm.

NSW Maritime Executive Director Mark Hutchings said the clinics include demonstrations of easy-to-do lifejacket pre-wear checks and servicing of inflatable lifejackets

“Learning how to do these simple lifejacket checks and servicing could save your life, and ensure you have a fun day out on the water and get home to your family safely,” Mr Hutchings said.

“We know that lifejackets save lives but they can only do so when they are maintained correctly and in good working order.”

“Inflatable lifejackets are easy to wear, comfortable and affordable, but they require extra care and attention to ensure they will inflate in an emergency.

“Boaters who come along to the clinics will be eligible to receive free lifejacket parts kits or a $15 voucher which can be used towards the purchase of a new lifejacket or parts at participating marine retailers.

“Boaters will also be able to hand in their expired flares at some of the clinics to make sure all of their safety equipment is in tip-top shape.

“NSW has some of the best waterways in the country and we want people to enjoy their time on the water, but we want to make sure people do so safely.”

To register to attend a free clinic, please visit: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/lifejacket-clinics.html

For more information on lifejacket wear and servicing, visit: maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au.

Expired flare collections will also start this month and continue across NSW until 13 January 2020. For details about local collection points and dates visit: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/flare-disposal.html

• Like 1

Hi All

just to let people know I went along to the 9am session with my 2 Jackets and a mate who turned up with 5 Jackets.

None of mine needed anything, but 3 of my mates need parts, 3 Canisters and 1 Auto inflation cap. One of his Co2 canisters was rusty the others had let themselves off when stored in the boat from being wet and then condensation inside the storage tub triggered the Auto inflation.

was a great informal session, learnt a lot and had a laugh.

Met a bloke who told us a story about a few years back, hitting a shipping container 8km of the coast at 30knots and he said it took less than a minute before the boat sank. The shipping container tore the front off the Haines Hunter and the motor drove it underwater.

they were all wearing life jackets and  lucky for them the Epirp and waterproof container containing phones and wallets also floated free a few minutes later.

So a great way to spend 45mins and have my jackets checked and repaired free of charge ready for another year.

One if the guys was the same guy who did the flare demonstration for you Mrs Swordfish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went to the 10am and found that my auto inflation cap was not date stamped so got a free replacement. Being a curious chap (idiot if you ask my wife) i popped the cap into a cup of water they had there. The spring in the cap is under incredible tension and when the tablet dissolved about half of the water in the cup exploded out.

It was definitely easier being shown what to do as opposed to reading the instructions.

Thanks for the heads up Mrsswordfisherman.  Only problem was Victoria road was closed in both directions due to a burst water main

3 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:
@jeffb5.8 did you say you were a fishraider? 

Yep, that’s when he told me about the Flares.

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Only problem was Victoria road was closed in both directions due to a burst water

Yep it’s the 3rd time that pipe has burst in 6mths

I managed to find my way down there yesterday to drop of several packs of expired flares. A bit of an expedition due to the intersection closure - fighting the congestion then working the maze of side streets. I was the only one there at the booth around 11am.

Well worth it though. Had a good chat to Ray - he sparked up when I said hey you’re the guy from the flare video on fishraider!! 

Fishraider rocks!

Cheers Zoran 

• Like 1