Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished the deep near Lilli Pilli this morning. Plenty of bait stealing reddies, surprising how the small ones manage to get hooked on a 3/0 hook.

The jewie grabbed a strip of salted mack tuna. A good fight on a handline, it swam over the anchor rope and then under the other side of the boat. Not much over the limit, but I'll take it.

The flounder took strips of bait. The only legal reddie was taking some line on the rod, then the hook pulled out. Probably just lip hooked.

Fished the same spot as I did a few weeks ago, but the fish were just not there today. Still, I'm happy with a few fish. A couple of fish splashing on the surface. Looked like salmon but no takers on a lure. The bait fish they were feeding on are tiny, about 2cm long.

fish.jpeg_213.thumb.png.5df40561590bfb1c21529c688b925b55.png

• Like 8

8 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Great report Yowie! Nice just legal Jewfish I am yet to catch one myself, just gotta learn the tactics and get rods for them.

JamoDamo

I catch quite a few on handlines. You won't need a big rod and reel, unless you are after the big ones.

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Couple of nice feeds there Yowie. Always good to see the little pickers about...fares well for the future. Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil. Hopefully the little reddies grow up faster.

6 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice legal Jew. The flounder will be nice and sweet.

I found the deeper water was quiet last fri. There were a few fish and crabs on the flats.

The fish were there 2 weeks ago, but not much today Bruce. I prefer the flounder to a lot of other fish.

I was away in the van for a couple of weeks in Victoria, but no fishing there.

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice yowie! I just love flounder when cooked properly. Very underrated fish. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

The flounder are a favourite fish.

What I do is fillet them. Yes, a hard job to do. Not just a matter of running a knife along the backbone, as there would not be too much meat cut off. I use the point of a knife to cut the meat away from the backbone, just a matter of practicing.

• Like 2