Knolls Native Lures

LuckyFil

I know the Knolls lures haven't been available for many years but I find the old one I have very effective on bass and was wondering if anyone knows of any similar lure that is on the market?

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.

Fil

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

What model n size  they made a couple

I think its called a Knolls Native . Its about 40ml long fat body towards the back and dives to around 2 meters. If you need more info I'll take a pic and post it.

Cheers

Fil

Yes copies are available.

Top one is original Knolls bottom 3 are copies.

1659843159_knollsluresside.thumb.jpg.9a3c2d04e5430b5089441f7e5f1d7d2c.jpg

1203073419_knollslurestop.thumb.jpg.0b7d29d3aba7b87de78ea29ce5dc10ef.jpg

Can't remember where I got the copies but the original was given to me by John knoll when he was just starting his production, later on he formed partnership which went sour and lures were made overseas. The original's had twin towing points. They still work wonders on different species.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

An update to this post.

Firstly thanks to all the Raiders for your responses and information. Interesting to hear that others thought the Knols Native were such a good lure. And unfortunately there seems to be no-one selling any these days.

So plan B was to try to make my own copies based on the ones I had.

I found a website that gives some guidance on making your own wooden lures and using those techniques and the size and scale of the existing ones I had a go. Given all the mucking around involved with carving the wood, making hook hangers, inserting a weight, painting and attaching hooks I figured I'd make a batch not just one. So here's the results. My artwork is pretty basic but hopefully the fish don't notice.

IMG_3858.JPG.ffa92fed0d2251956c37fee1cefc81b3.JPG

The bottom one is the original Knols.

I gave them all a test swim in the lake and was pleased (surprised!) to see they all swam quite well although I had to give the tow points a bit of tweaking with some to get them to swim straight. In the process I caught a small tailor on one of them so at least something likes them. Now all I have to do is get a bass on one.

Interestingly every one of them swam slightly differently to the others, I guess 'cause they're hand made the exact shape, tow point, bib angle, weight location is slightly different in each one. Some had a more erratic shimmy, others dived a little deeper or faster etc. So I could see how lure making is quite an art.

Now I'm back in lockdown I might make some more..

Cheers

Fil

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

An update to this post.

Firstly thanks to all the Raiders for your responses and information. Interesting to hear that others thought the Knols Native were such a good lure. And unfortunately there seems to be no-one selling any these days.

So plan B was to try to make my own copies based on the ones I had.

I found a website that gives some guidance on making your own wooden lures and using those techniques and the size and scale of the existing ones I had a go. Given all the mucking around involved with carving the wood, making hook hangers, inserting a weight, painting and attaching hooks I figured I'd make a batch not just one. So here's the results. My artwork is pretty basic but hopefully the fish don't notice.

IMG_3858.JPG.ffa92fed0d2251956c37fee1cefc81b3.JPG

The bottom one is the original Knols.

I gave them all a test swim in the lake and was pleased (surprised!) to see they all swam quite well although I had to give the tow points a bit of tweaking with some to get them to swim straight. In the process I caught a small tailor on one of them so at least something likes them. Now all I have to do is get a bass on one.

Interestingly every one of them swam slightly differently to the others, I guess 'cause they're hand made the exact shape, tow point, bib angle, weight location is slightly different in each one. Some had a more erratic shimmy, others dived a little deeper or faster etc. So I could see how lure making is quite an art.

Now I'm back in lockdown I might make some more..

Cheers

Fil

They look pretty good Lucky Fil...top job. Keep safe, bn

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/8/2019 at 7:46 PM, LuckyFil said:

I know the Knolls lures haven't been available for many years but I find the old one I have very effective on bass and was wondering if anyone knows of any similar lure that is on the market?

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.

Fil

I have Knol’ lures new !

• Like 1

Members, Marilyn Knol has identified herself as the sister of John Knol of Knols Lures. 

Sadly, John recently passed away. Marilyn has Knols Lures and wishes to sell them. 

@LuckyFil and anyone else who wants to buy these famous lures may contact Marilyn on personal message to organise. 

mrsswordie

Community Manager

• Like 1