Bluefin and albacore

JonD

Not to far out (26km). The albacore have been in numbers I've not seen before and with them there are small bluefin from 10-25kg. 

Talk on the radio was boats bagging out off Merimbula which was the same for other boats east of Montague. As soon as we cleaned the deck and put the rods back in the holder all rods would be on. We kept 10 between 5 of us and released dozens, was a great day for the young lads onboard.

Still amazes me when you are cleaning fish and get talking with other anglers who still don't seem to understand bag limits or how to care for their catch. Two guys brought 40 fish to the cleaning table and only had two bags of ice onboard, they had also hit them hard yesterday and are hoping to get out tomorrow before the wind kept cost in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

As Sharon Strzelecki would say...…………….noooooooooiiiiiisssss.

Great to see the smile on the young fella's dials, that's a pretty big experience for them as it would be for anyone :thumbup:

Hey I would volunteer to be the 'youngsters' water boy if it gets me on that sort of trip  🤣

Thanks for the report Jon 👍

23 hours ago, JonD said:

Still amazes me when you are cleaning fish and get talking with other anglers who still don't seem to understand bag limits or how to care for their catch. Two guys brought 40 fish to the cleaning table and only had two bags of ice onboard, they had also hit them hard yesterday and are hoping to get out tomorrow before the wind kept cost in. 

You have 40 f*&%ing fish, and you want to catch more the next day. WTF do you need to catch and keep more?

I was at Wallaga Lake a few years ago, and  a husband and wife team pulled out 40 duskies - way over the bag limit - and wanted to catch more the next day. Another camper told me this, so I asked him which van they were camping in. He must have seen the anger in me, and then said he could not remember which van they were in.  :insane:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JonD said:

Must admit I quite like not fishing myself and letting the youngsters do all the work.

_JDP8623.jpg.3b1feaaaac3aababc7392ad60a0f7583.jpg_JDP8639.jpg.83943abfcbea1348f4e626713033e109.jpg_JDP8643.jpg.61e4ef5fda9258988a56a1d7720cf4e4.jpg_JDP8659.jpg.70f42deb16270c2fd897d783e498f6ae.jpg

Wow, I'd have given just about anything to have been one of those kids holding those fish as a kid! What memories they will be! 

Well Done!! I agree you get more joy from watching the next generation getting into it. Taught my kids to release fish and keep only a couple of feeds (not to mention taking out more rubbish than we took in).

It wasn't that long ago that our forebears fished out of necessity and felt the need to kept most of what they caught. The last 25 years has seen a big shift in our attitudes to our fishing resources. Teach the next generation well and we generate more responsible fishing.  I would love to see a couple of youngsters give that couple a dressing down in the caravan park - I think it would carry more "weight".

Good luck & tight lines.

• Like 2