Beach rod Combo? $110 budget need help

JamoDamo

Hi Raiders,

I have recently found an interest in buying a beach rod for beach fishing. I bought an 8ft Shakespeare 4-8kg combo for $67.75 from a shop just yesterday, the conditions were hard to get any bites as I used a small sinker, which I later upgraded to a heavier one but I couldn't keep it from drifting over the beach hence I couldn't feel bites and couldn't fish. The conditions were 2-4 ft waves with 15 kn winds. I think the rod will suffice but I just need some input on if I should take the rod back (called to see if I could they said yes) to see if I should buy a shimano 12ft 6-8 kg rod with an fx 4000 size reel.

Thanks for the help sorry if my question isn't very clear.

Thanks JamoDamo

I'd take it back if I was you and let the guys know how grateful you are for allowing you to return it after being used.

I'm no expert on budget gear but for a general purpose beach rod, 12 foot is about right. Check the casting weight on the rod and get yourself a couple of star sinkers to match the heaviest rating, plus a couple of lighter ones and that should get you started.

Learn to read a beach and often when there's a cross sweep current you can find a hole where all that water is running back out to sea. Fish there, or walk your bait along the beach with the current to cover some territory.

• Like 4

Jamo just keep the rod you bought, save you buying it again because you know you will want it & need it down the track for another application.

Not sure who takes back a used rod though unless it has a fault?

If we, all fisherman just had 3 rods then we are genius's 😁

On holding the sand when you talk about sinkers are you using proper beach sinkers?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the help guys I was completely clueless on where to start. The guys at a shop said that as long as it was in sellable condition and had no faults and was as good as new they said I could take it back!

I would most likely be going for Bream, Whiting and Flathead even Talior or Salmon if I am lucky enough to catch them. I just need to learn how to catch beach worms and pipis ( have no idea how to do ). I have no idea how to get the pipis but i'll watch some videos on it. I also need to buy more swivels, hooks and sinkers so I can have a go at it. I was using ball sinkers at first but they were very small, I have some nice sized star sinkers and barrel sinkers I could use for it and I know I can also hit ball sinkers on both sides to make them flat so they don't move around as much.

Thanks so much,

JamoDamo

I would be looking for  graphite or light composite  2 or 3 piece rod 12 feet, and reel size  to match.  FX 4000 would be too small for 12'rod and would not last long due to low-cost internals.   

I would take the rod back to the shop and then wait until real Xmas sales start - if on budget. 

If in hurry - call Dinga (Fishraider sponsor), explain them what you want and most likely they will find good value for money combo for you that will fit your budget.

Most of active members of the forum probably spent more than $110 for surf rod and reel, so I would not expect many suggestions.

PM sent Damo.

Also Dinga is no longer a site sponsor of FR, so don't see the need to flog that one as there are plenty of other retailers doing just as good if not better deals if you join the 'club'

However I do continue to use Dinga & it is competitive & they have a very good free postage service for people who sign up.

Just saying for the record!

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

PM sent Damo.

Also Dinga is no longer a site sponsor of FR, so don't see the need to flog that one as there are plenty of other retailers doing just as good if not better deals if you join the 'club'

However I do continue to use Dinga & it is competitive & they have a very good free postage service for people who sign up.

Just saying for the record!

Thanks kingie chaser.

Did I miss any announcement on the forum re Dinga status?

@mrsswordfisherman , do you mind to confirm the above?

Also, one of the most enjoyable ways of fishing "off a beach" is:

* 2-4kg 7' graphite rod

* Yabbie pump

* Fishing a drop off from a sand flat at low tide.

1. Pump yabbies at low tide (1-1.5hrs before absolute low tide)

2. Fish using fresh and live bait, no need to cast a mile since you can walk right up to the drop off.

3. Catch bream and whiting! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savit said:

Thanks kingie chaser.

Did I miss any announcement on the forum re Dinga status?

@mrsswordfisherman , do you mind to confirm the above?

There were 2 or 3 sponsors still in play when ownership of the site changed. Deckee was aware and any further arrangements will be with them.

I am OK with Dinga being mentioned as I believe they are still honouring discounts for raiders. 

mrsswordie

• Like 2

I have taken my six foot boat rod to the beach and caught fish on plastics. And on other days caught nothing. Dont get to hung up on equipment ( technology ).  I would keep the rod. If the wind is 15kts try to have it at your back. If the current is raging down the beach walk with it or there will be a spot where it turns and heads out. 

• Like 1