Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out to Bate Bay for a flattie drift, but before that, I threw out a bait from mum's place for the bream.

Started drifting before sunrise, to see the sun rise a blood red colour, then gradually change to orange through the smoke haze. The wind chop from yesterday and overnight's nor-easter made it a little bouncy in my small boat.

Started off with the small blue spots, and a few just under size, plus a couple of spikies for bait. I hit a small patch of tigers, 4 up in 4 quick drops, then they disappeared. Back to the blue spots with the biggest one on the last drop.

The tigers are not big, but rate very highly for eating. Bigger models are usually found down south and into Victoria. Had my bag limit by 8am, so headed home.

Only saw a couple of other boats during the time out there. No bird activity, but scared a couple of flying fish that took to the air.

fish.jpeg_214.thumb.png.597f631608762138dd386f8d2a310a51.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, papafish said:

Ur a beast of the port hacking district😁 I havent been back for over 3 years. Any kingie action around lately? 

There are some about, though I have not targeted them recently. I hear others are finding a few here and there, mainly up river.

6 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice bag of fish with a couple of better blue spots.

Its good to have an almost reliable supply of flathead just offshore.

Last couple of trips the kings have been noticeable by their absence. Plenty of large slimies out around the bommie.

Bruce

Happy with the catch. The tigers are small, but good eating fillets with the bones removed.

My mate is recovering from hand surgery (both hands) so might start anchoring up in his bigger boat in the near future.