Brooklyn Offshore snapper

Pickles

Left the Quinny at home and went out with the legend - Scotty Thorington. The plan was to chase Jewies and big Kingies. We got smoked by what Scotty thought was a BIG Jewie, which straightened a suicide (snapper) hook on a live Yakka.

the snapper an Mowies came out to play, so we had a good day - Scotty worked hard for us all day.

48B50436-D4AE-404C-B6C3-4C15553F7982.jpeg

14595E29-0600-4533-BC06-05D73B79E806.jpeg

• Like 21

Mowies are fine if cooked as suggested here already.  Make sure the wings are removed if cooking any other way and fillets need the little reddish bit on top corner removed as well.  Those two areas plus the skin are the source of the iodine taste.  We eat mowies first night and snapper second night. Fillets are laid on kitchen paper on trays and left uncovered in the fridge. That removes a bit of excess moisture and we find snapper in particular are much better on second or even third day.  To each his own of course!!

• Like 3

nice catch mate,me and my brother came across some good sing the other day and we know the feel of snapper bites well,but managed to catch our fist mowi, Q do they usually swim with snapper or do they bite similar

• 3 years later...
On 12/16/2019 at 9:54 PM, thegee said:

nice catch mate,me and my brother came across some good sing the other day and we know the feel of snapper bites well,but managed to catch our fist mowi, Q do they usually swim with snapper or do they bite similar

Hi @thegee, sorry to take so long to reply - my experience is that Morwong, like snapper are a school fish and hangout together and take similar baits, so very commonly caught together on the same bait and usually over reef or rocky ground or where sand meets reef.

That's a good haul of fish. Well done. 👍
Questions for you. If the 'big fish' straightened the hooks could it be an issue with having too much drag set for the size of the hook? I would think that it would require a lot of pulling power to straighten even a 4/0 hook.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Pickles said:

Left the Quinny at home and went out with the legend - Scotty Thorington. The plan was to chase Jewies and big Kingies. We got smoked by what Scotty thought was a BIG Jewie, which straightened a suicide (snapper) hook on a live Yakka.

the snapper an Mowies came out to play, so we had a good day - Scotty worked hard for us all day.

48B50436-D4AE-404C-B6C3-4C15553F7982.jpeg

14595E29-0600-4533-BC06-05D73B79E806.jpeg

Wow that’s awesome