MEDIA RELEASE: Boaters: watch your wash on the water and now also at the boat ramp

mrsswordfisherman

Boaters: watch your wash on the water and now also at the boat ramp

Boaters in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Illawarra are reminded there are new rules relating to washing private boats, trailers and cars.

NSW Maritime Executive Director Mark Hutchings said the introduction of Sydney Water’s more stringent level two water restrictions this week means boaters must now only use trigger nozzle hoses to wash boats and other equipment at boat ramps and a bucket and sponge to clean cars, boats and trailers when at home.

“We all need to do our bit and conserve water during these drought conditions,” Mr Hutchings said.

“These new restrictions, which apply until further notice, will require some additional planning by boaties, but keep in mind these new restrictions are in place as dam levels have dropped to 45 per cent – even earlier than predicted.

“Sydney Water has outlined a list of what boaters can and can’t do this summer and this includes limiting cleaning boats to up to ten minutes using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle after the boat has been in seawater.

“Hoses at boat ramps must be fitted with trigger nozzles and connected to a timer that shuts off the water after ten minutes with penalties for those who are found to not be complying.

Sydney Water advises boaters can flush boat motors with a bucket or a purpose-designed flushing device connected to a hose, fill water tanks on a boat using a hose, as long as the hose is not left unattended or the tank left to overflow, clean bilges using a high-pressure cleaning device or hose fitted with a trigger nozzle and wash trailered vessels and trailers using a bucket and sponge or at a commercial car wash.

Boaters can also clean the essential safety components of boat trailers including wheel bearings or brakes using a high-pressure cleaning device or hose fitted with a trigger nozzle.

For more information visit Sydney Water https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/index.html  

Thanks for the very timely reminder Donna - the Sydney weather is looking good this weekend and I suspect many will be out there boating - so everyone keep in mind we are in Level 2 restrictions.

On the other side of the coin, my daughter brought this article to my attention ... :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7780983/Foreign-company-sells-89-billion-litres-Australian-water-rights-490m-drought.html?ito=facebook_share_article-top

Apologies if this detracts from your post Donna (move it if required) but it's something that made my blood boil !  

Makes you wonder why it's not featured in ANY Australian news feed ??? Our governments have spent around 60bn of tax money on Murray Darling water crisis .... and we wonder why it has not worked......and we could have bought the contract ourselves for $460m as at least part of the solution.... but no that didn't happen either.

I am speechless.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

“...boaters must now only use trigger nozzle hoses to wash boats and other equipment at boat ramps and a bucket and sponge to clean cars, boats and trailers when at home.”

I’m 5 minutes from the ramp. There’s no taps at the ramp to hose down. I’ll be hosing down at home, thanks.

Edited by Berleyguts

Overpopulation!

Simple, the amount of large scale apartment blocks that have gone up in the last 3 years is astonishing.

The Sydney basin is choking itself!! 

That's 10's of thousands of new taps, dishwashers & people taking showers.

And imo this is all linked to the immigration rate!!

This country does not have the infrastructure to support the people coming in!

In fact the world population is increasing at an unsustainable rate, estimated to be 10 billion people by 2050.

Glad I wont be around to see that!

In 2016 the Warragamba spillway overflowed, so in 3 years we have consumed over 50% of the available water, & that's with several 'top ups'

How can it not be a political subject?

Governments with little foresight!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, motiondave said:

Without getting into a political argument, this does not surprise me, over the last 25 years, and Liberals seem to stand out more, they sell what ever they can to make the country look good on paper to the rest of the world, at the cost of its people. Farmers go dry, no prob says government, sell it to overseas so when conditions improve, they can benefit.

NSW government , recently , announced that it wanted to sell more infrastructure in NSW to pay for $30 billion of work needed. Reserve bank told them they would loan the $30 billion, but NSW government said no.

that must have changed as NSW treasurer announced yesterday that NSW will go into debt for the required infrastructure work.

But dont worry, Im sure they will sell it all off and privatise it once its done as, from a government point of view, why have something that you make maybe 5% on, when you can sell/lease it and make up to 40%. (that C@#t Baird did that with 49% power assets leased out to build M4 addition, only to sell that as well. Power dont rise 50% for no reason, how much kickbacks are they getting.

Same with water lease sell off, government WILL be making more money from this.

Banana.....

I normally avoid entering into discussions like this but just feel the need to point out something that people often forget when bagging the government (No matter if it's blue / red / green).

Our government (doesnt matter what side) is not a profit making enterprise. Money from sales / taxes / duties/ fines....etc does not go into their pockets....it goes to providing the services we enjoy (and often expect).

How it's distributed though.....That's a whole other argument, not for this forum !

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

Without getting into a political argument, this does not surprise me, over the last 25 years, and Liberals seem to stand out more, they sell what ever they can to make the country look good on paper to the rest of the world, at the cost of its people. Farmers go dry, no prob says government, sell it to overseas so when conditions improve, they can benefit.

NSW government , recently , announced that it wanted to sell more infrastructure in NSW to pay for $30 billion of work needed. Reserve bank told them they would loan the $30 billion, but NSW government said no.

that must have changed as NSW treasurer announced yesterday that NSW will go into debt for the required infrastructure work.

But dont worry, Im sure they will sell it all off and privatise it once its done as, from a government point of view, why have something that you make maybe 5% on, when you can sell/lease it and make up to 40%. (that C@#t Baird did that with 49% power assets leased out to build M4 addition, only to sell that as well. Power dont rise 50% for no reason, how much kickbacks are they getting.

Same with water lease sell off, government WILL be making more money from this.

Banana.....

Remember that the 10's of billions is just to at best stand still in the face of our rampant population growth. With a stable population we could be using that to spend on community services and actually improve our lives.

43 minutes ago, tryhard said:

I normally avoid entering into discussions like this but just feel the need to point out something that people often forget when bagging the government (No matter if it's blue / red / green).

Our government (doesnt matter what side) is not a profit making enterprise. Money from sales / taxes / duties/ fines....etc does not go into their pockets....it goes to providing the services we enjoy (and often expect).

How it's distributed though.....That's a whole other argument, not for this forum !

As per my previous post as existing citizens we don't actually get anything out infrastructure spending required just to keep up with population growth. Ie it's costing us 10's of billions a year just to stand still.  

7 hours ago, motiondave said:

wash a trailer at home with a bucket? I wonder if the water restrictions guidelines people have actually attempted this.

My driveway is on a slope towards my home and drains off into the garden via a pipe. So I dont see how Im wasting water as the 5 mins it takes me to quickly hose the trailer and boat, all gets back into the ground.

So long as you use a trigger nozzle you are allowed to hose your trailer and boat immediately after use in saltwater, according to the official announcement.

7 hours ago, tryhard said:

Our government (doesnt matter what side) is not a profit making enterprise. 

No but they sure to like to sell OUR assets to make up for deficates they create by over spending on money wasting ideas & to keep feeding their huge lifetime pension & free travel plans. 

Just like the power station that's now privately owned because they sold it & is going to close & the gov isn't doing a thing about it!

Oh yeh forgot for another conversation :whistling:

9 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

It's certainly open to interpretation. And bearing in mind that some ramps don't have taps I would have thought you should be able to do it when you get home.

If fined for that I would be contesting it! 

It takes me 5 minutes to flush my motors & wash my 13ft tinny & trailer plus rods down!

Less than most people's showers.

Read the notice from Sydney Water https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/index.htm

You can wash your boat (and trailer bearings and brakes) with hose (at ramp or at home) after it's been in salt water, as long as it's with a trigger nozzle and on a 10min timer. 

Washing down trailer needs to be done with bucket and sponge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seasponge said:

Read the notice from Sydney Water https://www.sydneywater.com.au/SW/water-the-environment/what-we-re-doing/water-restrictions/index.htm

You can wash your boat (and trailer bearings and brakes) with hose (at ramp or at home) after it's been in salt water, as long as it's with a trigger nozzle and on a 10min timer. 

Washing down trailer needs to be done with bucket and sponge. 

Thought this link came up before in another thread & I had been looking for it so thanks :biggrinthumb:

• Like 1