Friday crabs

hookerbruce

Fished the deeper water near lilli pilli this morning, did find a couple of kings the 1st busted off around the anchor the second hooked up on the lightest rod meant to catch yellowtail etc.  Eventually boated it but at just 60cm only one place for it straight back in the water.

Saw no more kings but did get a legal flounder and a legal reddie. Got tired of throwing back little reddies so moved up on to the flats hoping for a crab, they have been a bit quiet this year.

Managed five using an old whiting and head for bait. Hope they stay around for a while. 

20191213_115824.jpg

• Like 7

Cooked up 4 for dinner beautiful

Few legs and bits left for a snack this arvo.  Froze the other one for a taste on Xmas day in case I don't catch anymore. The four larger ones averaged 500 gms, still a little to go to catch up with some of last year's  that weighed over 800 gm 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

Cooked up 4 for dinner beautiful

Few legs and bits left for a snack this arvo.  Froze the other one for a taste on Xmas day in case I don't catch anymore. The four larger ones averaged 500 gms, still a little to go to catch up with some of last year's  that weighed over 800 gm 

Bruce - do you freeze them raw and whole or cooked and cleaned?

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Bruce - do you freeze them raw and whole or cooked and cleaned?

I'm not sure what Bruce does but imo it's better If you intend on freezing them to freeze them raw.

Then thaw them in the fridge before cooking.

If frozen cooked the water between the cell fibres expands & when thawed they drop all that moisture plus more & you end up with a loss in flavour & texture.

If you do freeze them after cooking thaw them naturally in the fridge & never in water for the best result.

Proof is in the pudding, try one both ways & see which is better.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I'm not sure what Bruce does but imo it's better If you intend on freezing them to freeze them raw.

If frozen cooked the water between the cell fibres expands & when thawed they drop all that moisture plus more & you end up with a loss in flavour & texture.

If you do freeze them after cooking thaw them naturally in the fridge & never in water for the best result.

Only freeze the raw  crabs cooked crabs and prawns don't come out to good when defrosted.  I'll  remove the back shell and all the guts before freezing. Works on the muddies up in Qld if you want to bring a couple home for the family.

• Like 1

Only freeze the raw  crabs cooked crabs and prawns don't come out to good when defrosted.  I'll  remove the back shell and all the guts before freezing. Works on the muddies up in Qld if you want to bring a couple home for the family.

Thanks Bruce and KingieChaser. Raw and cleaned, OK. Hoping to grab a few for Christmas, so if I get out earlier I can freeze them and then cook Singapore Chilli Crab. 😋 

Edited by Berleyguts

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Thanks for the tip guys 😎