Caught this today, any idea what is it? Port kembla Harbour, shaped like a tailor but nice yellow colours (Longfin Pike)

JayGee

Question

15 answers to this question

11 hours ago, noelm said:

Just on the eating side, I knew a guy that used to fillet them and sell the fillets as "Sabre tooth Whiting" he had plenty of repeat customers.

Pike -we called them sabre tooth as well- best live bait for big Kings and great for Jew as well, even when they play dead (usual "tactics")

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Pike -we called them sabre tooth as well- best live bait for big Kings and great for Jew as well, even when they play dead (usual "tactics")

Have you actually caught kings and Jews on them or just heard they are good bait ?  I tried them once and just found they made my hands stink, not even the pickers would eat it!!!!

• Like 1

Caught plenty of Kingfish on Pike, it's hard to keep them alive after capture though, you need to have your gear ready, catch one, hook it on and put it back out as fast as possible.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

It did exactly this! I released it quickly and it stayed at the surface upside down and drifted away from the boat. I felt bad and didn't want it to do to waste, so I started my boat and drove over to it. I turned it back up the right way and gave it a gentle push and it darted off to the depths. :)

Thanks for the replies all. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JonD said:

Have you actually caught kings and Jews on them or just heard they are good bait ?  I tried them once and just found they made my hands stink, not even the pickers would eat it!!!!

Hi JohnD  yes caught plenty of mixed sized Jews and some decent Kings on them. Also been "destroyed" by massive Kings at both north and south Curracurrang on big Pike. At the "gulf" at south Curracurrang had awesome sized fish take Pike floating upside down on the surface- they know they're still alive, regardless of "floating" 

I believe one of the reasons larger Kingfish cruise the edges, is looking for Pike, as Noel says above you have to be ready when putting one out as they are fragile when handled. Jew on the other hand, seem to like "smelly" foods- Yakka's, Tailor, Luderick, Pike and Cockie's, Mullet and beach worms all have distinct strong smells.

Interesting RickMarlin has also caught Longtails on them

• Like 2