Port Hacking Friday; father & son fishing.

Oscarthebeagle

Had about 100 other things i should have been doing but with my eldest boy starting school next year the Friday was the last time will I have an RDO that lines up with him being at home, so we were going fishing.

Left from Grays Point at kiddy friendly time of 8ish and started by catching a few poddy mullet before moving out to the river proper near Lilli Pilli. Saw Dad (Hookerbruce) in his boat so went over to say "Hi' but had to wait will he was landing a crab. After a quick chat we moved out to deeper water and found a lot of baitfish on the sounder, dropped over a bait jig but no takers. Rigged up some rods with lures and one with a livie and moved back up into position for another drift.

Picked up a nice tailor and a rat King on the lure and Baxter got a good 56cm flathead on a livie, his biggest so far so we went back up to show Grandpa his fish.

Another boat there (casting metal jigs i think) was getting a few fish as well. A fast retrieve was needed to get the fish interested.

Next drift I got another rat King on a lure, this fish fought twice as hard as the first pulling heaps of line and taking a lot longer to get in holding down deep, thought for sure it was a better fish but was only mid 50's, guess i'm out of practice, amazing how different two similar sized fish can fight. After this it went quiet and the baitfish disappeared from the sounder, Baxter was getting tired from casting and had trouble winding the lure quick enough to interest the fish.

Time to move on, came across surface fish but they would pop up for and disappear than pop up 100m away tried for half hour but couldn't get a hit so moved on.

Headed back towards the ramp and fished a sand flat near the slow zone. First livie was eaten by a Long Tom, one of Baxter favorite fish. After that the burley attracted a school of small bream and Baxter had a blast catching them on a handline. After a dozen or so bream caught and released time was up (we had to be home before lunch)  and we headed home.

Not a great days fishing but we ended up with a feed of fish, a PB Flathead for Baxter and got one last day together fishing on a school/work day.

Thanks for reading

Ash

20191214_173713.jpg

20191214_173610.jpg

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Add photos
  • Like 8

Nice flattie for the youngster. You could swap a fillet for a couple of crabs from the old man. :lol:

When I was fishing last week in the deep, the lures did not attract a thing. Appears as though the schools are highly mobile at present. Some of the surface boils are salmon, hard to connect with at times.