Prawning - The Entrance

Jackey

It has been years since I have gone prawning in The Entrance.

I have deeply fond memories of walking out onto the water and scooping up a nice batch of prawns.

I have managed to convince my missus and a group of friends on, what-will-be, their first ever prawning experience.

I am hoping to get guidance on when would be a good time and place to go.

We are considering January 31st due to people's availability and February 5th's new moon.

Welcome to the forum @Jackey.

Without trying to sound funny, how about the Entrance?

You already have the memory of it so why not go there where you have done it before??

Or do you mean in Sydney somewhere?

I also have great memories of prawning when visiting my mother at St.Georges basin nsw during summer as a adolescent & we blokes would be lamping with the gas lantern with the mantle & would usually get 1/2 a 10ltr bucket of small ones in an hour or so.

Id imagine its LED's these days 😏

Every now & then you would see or step on an eel & that would freak me out for a while 😅

As long as we had enough for mum to have a prawn omelet then all was right with the world 🤣

I have read where 4-5 days either side if the new moon being the optimum time for prawns.

Edited by kingie chaser

Thank you Everyone for the support.

From memory, we went to a spot in front of a parking lot, and we stood in waist deep water. I was thinking that since it has been maybe 10 years, there would be new prime spots.

And yeah, anywhere closer to Sydney would also be awesome.

Given our availability, we might do December 24th with one group and then January 31st with the other.

I went last night and it was pretty much a waste of time. The mouth is almost completely closed with hardly any flow at all. Between two of us over a few hours, we only scored about 15 prawns. Might be able to convert them into some flatties hopefully.

A few guys had actually strung up a drag net right across the opening. Not legal and probably no more productive than my mate and I with our dip nets.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
Grammar correction

That's unfortunate, I hope you land a few keepers as well.

Hmm, times really have changed. Land based fishing is not as giving as they used to be too.

I wouldn't want their first time to be a bust especially after a productive foraging session a couple of weeks back.

Do you have any other places/areas that may be more promsing?

3 hours ago, Jackey said:

Oh, just to double check, would that happen to be at Swansea Channel?

No idea what the are is like but someone on here will.

The channel will be quite a fast run on tide changes so if it was me I would just pick an area with nice sand & reasonably shallow. 

Fisheries have some useful maps which clearly outline what you can and cannot do.

In the case I mentioned above of the drag net pinned across the mouth of the entrance to Tuggerah Lakes it was not legal.

here is the Fisheries map showing the area shaded in red where only line fishing and hand held nets may be used. No crab traps, drag nets etc.

You can access the maps here:

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/closures/location-closures

KB

Capturenba.JPG

That's amazing information. Thank you very much.

Today's the day!!

We have decided to go to The Entrance. We are aiming to get there at about 10pm or 11pm. 

I think my memory says it's The Entrance Rd? Can someone confirm if that's the right place?

Any other useful tips will be awesome.

• 3 years later...

I was just up at the entrance and there are what looks like commercial fishermen running there prawning drag nets across the mouth, stacked into thew ground, 50 mtrs from where it meets the ocean i don,t know how this is legal and why they are getting away with it