Best 6 metre offshore boat to buy?

Admis

Currently I've been looking at the Haines Siganture 650F and the Haines Hunter 625 offshore but would like some advice from experienced offshore boatsman I would also like a cabin for sleeping over night personally I would mostly be using it for fishing but I would like it to be a nice boat for my mum any boats and ideas/help is greatly appreciated. 

I've owned the 540 which handled extremely well offshore, the 650 would have to be even better. I've been considering a 575 as it ticks many boxes as an offshore vessel but still within the tow capacity of a medium SUV, without   Needing breakaway breaks etc.

If you are looking for comparison and advice between these two rigs I can't specifically comment between the HS650F or the HH625O. I have not heard anything bad about either of them. Best bet would be to find someone that has one and go crew for a day. Lots of guys on this site run 6m plate boats as well.

Personally I have an older model Haines Hunter 635L, which I converted to a hard top and I couldn't be happier - offshore, in bays, overnight. It has a full cabin and two 7foot bunks, marine toilet, 100L fresh water, gas BBQ  etc.  You can search the forum for my posts and adventures. I often fish with my wife. With a full half cabin (sleeping), you lose fishing space and mobility as you a restricted to fishing from the back half of the boat, but you gain protection from the elements and lots of dry storage. If you plan to anchor often, you also need to sort out how you will do that most easily/efficiently with the restricted access to the front.

Most of my boating is offshore - fishing close trolling the head lands, hitting the reefs or out wide deep dropping, trolling, jigging  - so I am happy with a big heavy rig and all the complications that come with that. As JonD alluded - large SUV,  electric hydraulic breakaway brakes (which requires tow vehicle modification as well), extra maintenance, annual HVIS inspections etc

But judging something "best" is very subjective.... and very dependent on how you plan to use the boat most often. 

I recently had a friend who was determined to upgrade his 5.3m bow rider to an offshore 6m+ hull and go wide - he went out with me, and quickly realised he was not suited to offshore conditions and is now VERY happy to stay in the bays and estuaries on his bow rider. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

If you are looking for comparison and advice between these two rigs I can't specifically comment between the HS650F or the HH625O. I have not heard anything bad about either of them. Best bet would be to find someone that has one and go crew for a day. Lots of guys on this site run 6m plate boats as well.

Personally I have an older model Haines Hunter 635L, which I converted to a hard top and I couldn't be happier - offshore, in bays, overnight. It has a full cabin and two 7foot bunks, marine toilet, 100L fresh water, gas BBQ  etc.  You can search the forum for my posts and adventures. I often fish with my wife. With a full half cabin (sleeping), you lose fishing space and mobility as you a restricted to fishing from the back half of the boat, but you gain protection from the elements and lots of dry storage. If you plan to anchor often, you also need to sort out how you will do that most easily/efficiently with the restricted access to the front.

Most of my boating is offshore - fishing close trolling the head lands, hitting the reefs or out wide deep dropping, trolling, jigging  - so I am happy with a big heavy rig and all the complications that come with that. As JonD alluded - large SUV,  electric hydraulic breakaway brakes (which requires tow vehicle modification as well), extra maintenance, annual HVIS inspections etc

But judging something "best" is very subjective.... and very dependent on how you plan to use the boat most often. 

I recently had a friend who was determined to upgrade his 5.3m bow rider to an offshore 6m+ hull and go wide - he went out with me, and quickly realised he was not suited to offshore conditions and is now VERY happy to stay in the bays and estuaries on his bow rider. 

Cheers Zoran

Thanks for the help yeah mostly looking to go outside fishing but as I said when we return to the bay just something for sleeping over night to the cabin would be awesome and did it cost much to convert your boat into a hard top?

Hard top was around $3K. I went for full plate-glass front and side windscreens, alloy two pac roof, and pantographic wipers with washers. We did re-purpose the existing stainless rocket launchers and bimini frame so that saved some cost. But then I also had to add a new set of clears and storm cover to suit the new configuration which was another $1.2k (these were due to be done anyway). The side clears are made to be rolled up out of the way to allow fresh air on those hot days, and rolled down to keep us dry in chop or rain.

image.png.33d5e3c46a38e94fb020102edc1bb39d.png

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 4

Zoran I like the idea of rolling up clears instead of removing them.

I was quite impressed with the 650F signature at the boat show but didn't have much time to compare them. 

I like the idea of overnighting but not sure if it would be the same in reality.

Hey Jason, agree 100%, if you remove them, you have to stow them... which can be a PITA !  I have a length of conduit with press stud bases fitted to match the press studs on the clears. It's simple to clip the clears to the conduit and then roll them up.  There are two lengths of clear strap permanently fitted at the top that loop over the rolled up clears and then are held in place by toggles.  Its simple and works.

Re: Overnighting:  if your set up it's just like camping on water. In the early days of owning the Haines the family (wife and two daughters) would spend many a weekend on the Hawkesbury. Launch late Friday evening and be out of the water late Sunday arvo.  Boating,  fishing, cruising around. Kids would bring their homework on board ! 

Nowadays the daughters aren't so keen (understandable given they are 26 and 30). My wife and I still go overnight occasionally but it's more me and a mate or two usually chasing hairtail or such.  I'm sure we would all be more comfortable on a 40' with separate bedrooms and hot and cold water ... but hey we make do with our own "reality".  Bottle of red and 1/2 bottle of black label bundaberg aside. 😇

Here's a recent trip of what it's like:

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 11:47 AM, zmk1962 said:

Hard top was around $3K. I went for full plate-glass front and side windscreens, alloy two pac roof, and pantographic wipers with washers. We did re-purpose the existing stainless rocket launchers and bimini frame so that saved some cost. But then I also had to add a new set of clears and storm cover to suit the new configuration which was another $1.2k (these were due to be done anyway). The side clears are made to be rolled up out of the way to allow fresh air on those hot days, and rolled down to keep us dry in chop or rain.

image.png.33d5e3c46a38e94fb020102edc1bb39d.png

Cheers Zoran

very nice looking boat how much did it cost you for the boat before upgrades?

Hey @Admis thank you. I purchased the boat 2nd hand in 1996 so not sure if any of the original pricing details have any relevance today but PM if you are still interested.  I have looked after it ever since and it's had numerous upgrades and additions over time, some small some big (like the hardtop). But I started with a solid, sound and reputable built hull so even today its insured for around 40k and replacement with a similar offshore rig would set me back in the 60-100k range depending on age and hours. 

Cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962

15 minutes ago, JonD said:

I would be keen on looking at this if I could bare to part with my little zodiac. https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2001-Haines-Signature-575F/SSE-AD-6306438?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6306438

Nice rig Jon,  with a good solid hull underfoot its hard to go wrong .... I like the choice of motor as well - its what I have been reconsidering if I repower .... 

The only thing that does not appeal to me on most of the cuddy/half cabs today is that sharply raked front screen - it looks great aesthetically, it makes the boat look "fast" ..... but in reality for me as I mostly stand when steering, I always found the sharp angled screen to be threatening to re-arrange my face or teeth in a chop. 

Mine had a similar raked design as per the picture below, and I can honestly say it was a massive improvement when I had the screen re-angled. Just about everything improved, more room in the cabin, better visibility, water drops didn't hang on the screen etc etc.   It completely changed the way the boat felt.

image.png.a2b79c51e07a2f48877a09135eb12d63.png

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice rig Jon,  with a good solid hull underfoot its hard to go wrong .... I like the choice of motor as well - its what I have been reconsidering if I repower .... 

The only thing that does not appeal to me on most of the cuddy/half cabs today is that sharply raked front screen - it looks great aesthetically, it makes the boat look "fast" ..... but in reality for me as I mostly stand when steering, I always found the sharp angled screen to be threatening to re-arrange my face or teeth in a chop. 

Mine had a similar raked design as per the picture below, and I can honestly say it was a massive improvement when I had the screen re-angled. Just about everything improved, more room in the cabin, better visibility, water drops didn't hang on the screen etc etc.   It completely changed the way the boat felt.

image.png.a2b79c51e07a2f48877a09135eb12d63.png

I had a 502 signature before the rib which also had a low screen, which I was very surprised on just how dry it was even punching home from the canyons in 30knots of southerly and running in and out of our local bar. I could  get waves up over the front if I slowed down but those little hulls don't seem to mind being pushed hard.  The 575 in the link does have a decent looking set of clears, though I've always removed all that stuff off boats. That 575 also has an almost new trailer and a very expensive quality transducer, deck wash, practical tow weight etc etc.

The last few weeks Ive been driving small commercial boats, mostly Eden craft and coota craft and though many might disagree with me, I much prefer the signatures with that variable dead-rise hull.

Edited by JonD

7 hours ago, JonD said:

would be keen on looking at this if I could bare to part with my little zodiac. https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2001-Haines-Signature-575F/SSE-AD-6306438?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6306438

A mate had a late 80’s or early 90’s 575 SF he bought off a guy in Melbourne & ended up selling it earlier this year in Sydney back to a guy in Melbourne who knew the previous owner (due to health reasons).😢 It was a very comfortable dry riding boat in all conditions & I think the trim tabs made al big difference. I would’ve bought it if it wasn’t for putting the Santa Fe on its limit (1.8 ton dry) & needed a good refurbish otherwise a great rig

4 hours ago, JonD said:

The 575 in the link does have a decent looking set of clears, though I've always removed all that stuff off boats.

... you are way more experienced than me Jon especially way out wide ... but rather then removing stuff I actually went the other way .... after I saw this video clip of a similar sized haines to mine riding out the "perfect storm" I concluded that if they had a standard marine canvas bimini it would have most likely been ripped off - resulting in significant loss of visibility -  who knows what the outcome would have been  ... it was this clip that actually pushed me over the line to install a hard top and then full length plate glass screens for good measure. 

Cheers Zoran

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Shit! If saw a storm like that, id be out of there faster than a stabbed rat

Well that's just the problem ... usually you can't out run a storm like that.  If I remember the rules of thumb correctly, if you are between 5 and 6 feet tall, you can see the horizon at around 10-15km away. So if you can recognise a storm on the horizon and its travelling at 100km/hr - you have around 10min before its on you. 

In 2013 I was at Browns Mnt (40km out from Sydney heads) on flat seas and clear skies with a forecast of 5kts NE winds and 1m swell, we trolled back in to 12mile (20km out) and hit a squall. The winds were not as bad as that video, but the seas were 3-4m and with no set direction. It took 4.5hrs to cover the last 20km back to the heads. Marine rescue and VHF radio was going crazy. Sh*t can happen fast offshore.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 5:22 PM, 61 crusher said:

A mate had a late 80’s or early 90’s 575 SF he bought off a guy in Melbourne & ended up selling it earlier this year in Sydney back to a guy in Melbourne who knew the previous owner (due to health reasons).😢 It was a very comfortable dry riding boat in all conditions & I think the trim tabs made al big difference. I would’ve bought it if it wasn’t for putting the Santa Fe on its limit (1.8 ton dry) & needed a good refurbish otherwise a great rig

I think those early boats were before the variable deadrise and wide planing plank under hull, hence why they needed trim tabs.

As for the Santa Fe towing, these are very capable tow vehicles and not as far behind many of the so called big guys as many might think. I bought the genuine rear spring upgrade kit for mine costing $210 from Hyundai. I had the nrma fit them as they charged $80 in comparison with Hyundai's quote of $440.

Before anyone gets into towing they should take a look at the videos the auto experts has made on the subject. In this video, note the load which can be carried in the vehicle as well as 2 ton trailer load for the Hyundai. 

30 minutes ago, JonD said:

think those early boats were before the variable deadrise and wide planing plank under hull, hence why they needed trim tabs.

As for the Santa Fe towing, these are very capable tow vehicles and not as far behind many of the so called big guys as many might think. I bought the genuine rear spring upgrade kit for mine costing $210 from Hyundai. I had the nrma fit them as they charged $80 in comparison with Hyundai's quote of $440.

I might of got the age of the boat wrong as it was one of the first with the flat planing plank. As far as the Santa Fe goes  back in 2016 we got ours with 5 years free service & $2k worth of extras where we got the spring kit as part of the deal. I remember a few years back the video & post in Which you praised the Santa Fe as a good tow vehicle, & obviously it made me happy with our choice for towing the 560c bar Crusher ( great economical towing)

And after your quickie post & other post’s about what you’ve done in your rib I can see why she’s so hard to let go of 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JonD said:

Before anyone gets into towing they should take a look at the videos the auto experts has made on the subject. In this video, note the load which can be carried in the vehicle as well as 2 ton trailer load for the Hyundai. 

Great Video Jon!!  Very succinct and factual. The video is geared toward the 3.5T top end road warrior towing fraternity - but it is a fantastic reminder to stay within the regulations and that just blindly buying big is NOT the answer. Buy what you need for your intended purpose. 

As a past engineer I just had to run the calcs for my set up.

image.png.5094f97d71cfa517a0f6ddf352882c91.png

Frankly, I don't do a lot of long distance trips. I fit into category 2 dsicussed in the last few minutes of the video - towing a boat to the ramp and back - so it's mostly city towing where I find having the vehicle mass match the tow load, combined with AWD traction, helps greatly with control (read stopping) in the Sydney traffic conditions. When we have taken the rig to say Jervis Bay, we used the spare ATM capacity and loaded the boat for any additional items rather then loading the car.

But more to the point you are making - anyone considering "the best 6m offshore boat" really needs to seriously consider the towing part of the equation.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, zmk1962 said:

... you are way more experienced than me Jon especially way out wide ... but rather then removing stuff I actually went the other way .... after I saw this video clip of a similar sized haines to mine riding out the "perfect storm" I concluded that if they had a standard marine canvas bimini it would have most likely been ripped off - resulting in significant loss of visibility -  who knows what the outcome would have been  ... it was this clip that actually pushed me over the line to install a hard top and then full length plate glass screens for good measure. 

Cheers Zoran

We see here in this video the dangers of not securing eskies and the like. From personal experience an esky flying across the deck can cause plenty of pain

• Like 1