All rounder Fishing rod

Kaneo

hey lads, i need a bit of help on a new fishing rod.... so much to choose from these days...

ill be mainly fishing from kayak, sometimes a boat and land mainly estuaries only sometimes rock fishing if its not rough.

The rod setup i am thinking for a sort of all rounder 

6Ft ( bit shorter for boat, kayak )
4000lb Reel

15lb mono (thinking to have a break from the braid since its on my lure rod )

My lure rod is  2-4kg graphite 7ft with 6lb braid and 8lb leader. sort of all rounder bass estuary shore fishing and kayak

Any thoughts on what i plan on doing if its a decent idea or not thanks !

11 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Looks good to me with the mono would be good to hang a live bait out and should land most estuary fish. I personally would put 12 Lb braid on it. 

so a 12lb mono using it as both leader as well will be good for a 4000reel?

Ugly stick>>

https://www.dinga.com.au/ugly-stik-gold-602m-4-8kg-2pce-new-2018.html

Also come in 1 piece to, depending on your practicality of car etc,

Any good branded reel between 3000-4500 would do the trick, as you are in a kayak i would pay attention to weights of reels and how many bearings as it will be in and around salt water. I'd be going with a simple Penn Slammer or a Sedona or Daiwa, obviously depending budget.

• Like 1

I use mentioned 6.6' 4-8kg Ugly Stik on a kayak (2nd rod is also Ugly Stik) - for bait and heavier lures casting. They are obviously not finesse, however will handle a lot of abuse. 2 piece is very practical both for storing the rod  in the car and  reaching the rod tip (if line wrapped or lure hooked the tip) on a kayak. However for landbased fishing I always prefer lighter (weight, not rating) and longer rods - for easier casts and better sensitivity.

If you decide to get Ugly Stik - I suggest to take the kayak rod holder (or at least measure its diameter)  with you to the shop and check, as some Ugly Stik butts are too big to fit.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, Kaneo said:

so a 12lb mono using it as both leader as well will be good for a 4000reel?

I have a couple of 4000 reels the spec only gives how much line e.g. 10lb Mono 200yrd capacity but I think 8lb is the max drag that reel will produce. I have 12lb braid on one and 6lb on the other I use them as all rounders everything from squid to flathead and even sabiki rigs pulling in three fish at a time.. Paired with an ugly stick and a 4-7kg carbon. I change it around now and then.

Edited by blaxland