My first crocodile - Narrabeen Lake 19/12/2019

SUPFisher

Hi all,

Well here goes for my first post to Fishraider.  I’ve been a member for some time but haven’t ever felt like I had anything worthy of posting.  I often fish around Middle Harbour from my Stand Up Paddle board but I also enjoy land based fishing as well.

I decided to head to Narrabeen Lake yesterday as the forecast 40 Deg temp made it pretty appealing to spend the day waist deep in water.  Planned to fish with hard bodied lures mainly targeting Flatties.  I’ve been doing alright on flatties there in the past couple of months.

I arrived at 07:30 and started wading the southern shore. After 4 hours with not a single hit I went around to the northern shore east of the main road bridge.  After nearly an hour I was just about to give up and have some lunch when I connected with the biggest fish of my life.  I called it for a big flattie pretty early given the strength of the multiple runs she put up.  I kept calm and patient using only a moderate drag setting as I knew there wasn’t anything that I was going to get caught up on.  After a 10 min fight I finally landed a beauty which was just under 80 cms in length.  I was using my Shimano 3-5.0 kg rod with 2500 stradic as its nice and light for lots of casting. I was using a 90 mm Daiwa Double Clutch lure on 6.0 kg J-Braid with a long wind on leader of 15 lb mono to ensure I had a bit of give in my setup.

My PB flattie up to this point had been 58 cms so I was stoked.  I was lucky enough to share this exciting capture with a family from Victoria who were holidaying in Sydney and were kayaking nearby when I hooked up.  The kayaks kept a bit of distance while the fight was on but once I was able to land the fish they came over and helped me out with photos and videos.  The father was a keen fisho too so was a cool way of connecting with some friendly strangers.  None of us had ever seen a fish this size before and we were all pretty excited.  Only one bite all day but I’m not complaining its always the next cast right.

Once the photo op was finished I was very pleased to set this big old girl free to fight another day.  I mostly catch & release but will keep the occasional fish for the table at times.   I do have a video of me releasing the fish but I'm not sure how to upload this??

Tight lines to all and I hope you have a safe & fishy Christmas.

SUPFisher,

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

• Like 14

Great flattie and report.  Congrats.  I'd be super stoked if I caught a croc that size, a good reward for your persistence. 

I spent half the time reading just trying to imagine how you go about fishing off a stand up paddle board.  

• Haha 1

Hi all

Thanks so much for all the congrats & warm welcome.  It’s great to share our passion for fishing with other like minded fishos.  

Hopefully I will have more stories to tell in the near future. Particularly from my paddle board. 

👍