Yakkas

Rod84

Hey guys, I had a bit of trouble getting squid on my attempt for catching a jewfish, so I tried getting yakkas. I went near ladders on the Central Coast about 11am and didn’t get anything. Anyone have any tips? I used bread and tuna oil as burley and a small unweighted hook on a handline with a piece of prawn. I haven’t done this for a long time and previously did it in a mates boat and found it really easy. Do you need to go really early before the sun comes up?

Edited by Rod84

Hey mate I haven’t fished central coast but there’s a few spots in Sydney that I catch them land based where I can get them before the sun comes up, soon as the sun comes up they get really finicky and makes it very hard to catch! But using that method of burleying should work I also use little bits of raw diced up chicken breast it’s abit tougher on the hook and they love it,  hope this helps 

Mitch 

• Like 1

My biggest thing i have found in Newy way along with Syd, don't use tuna oil, i find it seems to scare off little fish because the smell will seem like there is something bigger near them, so i have heard, and i believe it too, one night we went fishing near Balmain, catching yakkas and little bream for hours, a bloke rocked up put tuna oil and a big hunk of bait on and no more fish that night, we changed nothing, we used bread,chicken,beef,prawns,pilchards. nothing was biting after the tuna oil was in the water.

And it wasn't off the bite the tide had just changed when he came, caught little bream and yakkas even a crab right up til he put tuna oil in the water, then nothing...

Use small prawns, a sebeiki rig, and unweighted bread for yakkas, no oil.

Squirt's Tip: Peel the prawns before going on the hook, makes them swim a bit more realistic, seems to work well for bream and snapper. Squish the bread into a ball on the hook but leave a bit of fluffyness on it, so squeeze it around the hook but not the shaft of the eyelet.

Regards..

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, Volitan said:

By ‘the ladders’ are you meaning Iron Ladder Beach, near Little Box Head?

Yeah Volitan Iron Ladder Beach I think. There are rocks there though so it might actually be Little Box Head

I don’t know too much about how different it could be on the central coast but in Sydney, I use a sabiki rig on one of those Carbon fibre telescopic rods. I fish the Georges river up stream from Como Quite often and I just drop my sabiki in next to the wharf and start jigging. I have managed to get heaps of southern herring doing this and I’m sure it would work on a wharf that’s closer to the ocean which could hold a larger population of yellowtail. I have managed to get a yellowtail once but it slipped out of my hands as I was taking it to the bucket. Even the herring are great for big flathead and jewfish. 
Hope this helps 

• Like 1