Yakkin in drought

rickmarlin62

Went for a yak this morn on a river north of me  launched under a road bridge and fished our way downstream  in years gone by it was long deep pools  but at the moment  we dragged the yaks up to 80mtrs over dry boulder beds  with nearly no flow we caught quite a few bass up to 30cm   we made it all the way to a rockbar where the tidal influence stops   foto is of the main flow of freshwater  coming out of one of our main rivers in the hunter over the rockbar into the salt   its about 10 ft across with 3 inches of water in a couple of runs  4 years ago this had 3ft deep 40mtrs wide where my yak is in second foto   this drought is bad  10 miles upriver is nearly dry with a few pools and hundreds of mtrs of dry riverbed   didnt really take any fotos of fish as i just released them asap as im worried they will all perish if no rain

20191229_203808.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the report and photos Rick. Glad to see someone out and about. We haven't fished the freshwater of the Manning as the water is so low its almost unfishable not to mention we don't want to put more stress on the fish. Level 4 water restrictions and water being trucked in to  Gloucester - unheard of. And the helicopters have just started up chasing more fires up here.  Saw a photo of a 40cm whiting taken on fly at Swansea - might be a good option!!

Sorry to end the year on a negative folks, but... So sad Rick. Even worse to impact on communities is that there is no water for farming and that has directly affected rural communities in a big way. Our rice growing industry, which employed a lot of people, is on it's knees. Shops are struggling and many have already closed down. Worse to come, I fancy. bn

Just to add that some low life's have been netting and leaving set lines in those small pools that are left down here on the south coast.

Not quite sure how strongly the rules on not entering national parks and state forrests are being upheld with the high fire regulations, but those rules must be having great influences on people's holidays.

So sad to see Rick.
I’ve nearly warn the bottom off my kayak from the few trips I’ve had to the Macquarie River. The lack of flow and water temps sky rocketing is a worrying trend. Only leaves me with the question of will any of these fish get through?

Gee, crap water flow. Where i am its no better. Been crook for the last couple of months and just got about to check out the waters where I am. No flows, low dam levels. Pretty sad in my district too. Wow how times have changed from fishing through all 4 seasons with success compared to now! Gotta get used to it I guess, though not liking it.

Where i was standing thete is normally 3ft of water from bank to bank   now its a trickle   this is a large feeder river into one of the biggest waterways on our coast !!!!!    At the moment  the riverbed is dry in gloucester  there is no flow   the crawford and myall arnt fairing any better   my fave cod spot hasnt had running water for 11 months   i fear for the fish populations in all of these and other rivers  its even affecting the munmorah budgewoi tuggerah lake system as no rain filling the lakes has led to no water leaving at the entrance  there are large sand islands with grass growing onthem right in front of the pelican feeding at the entrance    this used to be water from one side to the other    come on rain