Squid As Live Bait

Will Wright

What is it you need to know??

About what rig to use??

You have to be a bit more specific in your question!

Im not a rock fisherman but the way I see it you could set it up like for life any live bait(yakka's/slimeys etc), ala natural unweighted, on a float/ballon or a bottom paternoster or running sinker rig.

All depends on location as far as ledge/depth & conditions go.

Probably 20-30lb braid with longish 20-40lb mono/fluro leader.

Its a very open question.

Edited by kingie chaser

35 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

What is it you need to know??

About what rig to use??

You have to be a bit more specific in your question!

Im not a rock fisherman but the way I see it you could set it up like for life any live bait(yakka's/slimeys etc), ala natural unweighted, on a float/ballon or a bottom paternoster or running sinker rig.

All depends on location as far as ledge/depth & conditions go.

Probably 20-30lb braid with longish 20-40lb mono/fluro leader.

Its a very open question.

Sorry for the dull question. I'm trying to see what rigs to use and what size squid to use.

1 hour ago, Will Wright said:

Sorry for the dull question. I'm trying to see what rigs to use and what size squid to use.

Its not a dull question  at all, just trying to get to what it is exactly your asking instead of guessing!

I'm sure some rock fish's will chime.in here soon but yeh like I said if I were Rock fishing that's what I would do but it does all depend on many factors so there is no 1 answer.

Squid size?

Rat kings or 10kg kings,?

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Its not a dull question  at all, just trying to get to what it is exactly your asking instead of guessing!

I'm sure some rock fish's will chime.in here soon but yeh like I said if I were Rock fishing that's what I would do but it does all depend on many factors so there is no 1 answer.

Squid size?

Rat kings or 10kg kings,?

Going mainly for the rats, just for a bit of fun. 

Squid arrow or calamari are excellent live baits as is cuttlefish.  I fish from a boat but watch the guys on the stones seems most like use lures chasing pelagic  . Im sure if u put  live squid out something would take it. Off Sydney this time of year  could be pickers to marlin. 

Works well... problem is a lot of other species love squid too. Not too sure the length of your rod but some locations would probably require the longer rods, around 10-15ft rods. really depends on location and also condition of water.