Bush Fires at home New Years Eve. Scary.

Rebel

That's good news Pete, I have (like most of us) a few mates in the danger zones. My mate Doug on Kangaroo Island was on the phone with me earlier and it started to rain there, only lightly and not enough to help with their dreadful fires, but the temperature has dropped more than 20' from yesterday, giving them at least a little relief from the heat. 

Currently 39' here in Croydon at 12PM  Hope everyone stays safe this weekend

• Like 1

Waza, I saw there was fires at KI yesterday and meant to ask you how your mate was getting on, but got a little distracted with the happenings around here. Hopefully they'll be okay.

Only 32 here, but we just got texts and recorded phone messages that the fire is approaching homes a couple of km to the west of us. Its still only classed as "watch and act" so not a real threat to human life or property at this stage. Just hoping the wind doesn't turn west before the predicted southerly change. Still, I think we're pretty safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Waza, I saw there was fires at KI yesterday and meant to ask you how your mate was getting on, but got a little distracted with the happenings around here. Hopefully they'll be okay.

Only 32 here, but we just got texts and recorded phone messages that the fire is approaching homes a couple of km to the west of us. Its still only classed as "watch and act" so not a real threat to human life or property at this stage. Just hoping the wind doesn't turn west before the predicted southerly change. Still, I think we're pretty safe.

Hi Pete safe where they are on KI. Hope the southerly works in everyone's favour. Got to 45 here and 48 at Penrith

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Pete safe where they are on KI. Hope the southerly works in everyone's favour. Got to 45 here and 48 at Penrith

Those temps are crazy Waza and glad to hear your friends are safe.

Man, that southerly came through hard. Had me thinking it could blow embers right across St Georges Basin from the Sussex Inlet fire, but thankfully never happened.

Edited by Green Hornet

It was pretty cool here, NE wind almost all day, straight off the ocean, but when that southerly hit last night, we had burnt leaves and thick ash covering everything, could barely go outside because of the rubbish getting in your eyes, can't imagine how bad it is right at the front! Still no news from my brother at Fisherman's Paradise, but, I guess in a way, that's a good thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, noelm said:

It was pretty cool here, NE wind almost all day, straight off the ocean, but when that southerly hit last night, we had burnt leaves and thick ash covering everything, could barely go outside because of the rubbish getting in your eyes, can't imagine how bad it is right at the front! Still no news from my brother at Fisherman's Paradise, but, I guess in a way, that's a good thing.

Trust your brother's okay mate and I think you're right, no news is good news. I guess with no power down that way for some time there's no landline or mobile coverage.

My brother was evacuated almost a week ago and I hadn't heard from him until I received an email this morning.

• Like 2