Places to collect bait near hawkesnest

Josh edwards

Taking the family on a fishing trip to hawkesnest for a couple nights. Wondering where best place to pump  yabbies is. Can you get worms at local beach ? and is there any spots close to take kids prawning. Kids are 8 and 9 and mainly only done freshwater fishing thinking of fishing jimmys beach for whiting and flathead are there any other good kid friendly spots to fish 

1st thing to do is to obtain a paper version locally or download the Port Stephens marine park map which will show you where & where not to fish & collect from. 

Not at home atm but I seem to recall that part of Jimmys is restricted but check the map on that

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

1st thing to do is to obtain a paper version locally or download the Port Stephens marine park map which will show you where & where not to fish & collect from. 

Not at home atm but I seem to recall that part of Jimmys is restricted but check the map on that

Thanks mate just had a look there is a sanctuary zone near Barnes rocks so will stay away from there. What does the special zone on tea gardens Side of Myall river down to bridge prohibit 

On 1/4/2020 at 2:52 PM, Josh edwards said:

Thanks mate just had a look there is a sanctuary zone near Barnes rocks so will stay away from there. What does the special zone on tea gardens Side of Myall river down to bridge prohibit 

This is from the fish smart app.   It shows your location relative to the sanctuary zones as well.  

The note In the first picture applies to the yellow zone.   I hope that helps. 

F17BAEA0-393D-406F-B29C-FC5447F8103B.png

D2D0B099-A21F-477C-A49F-59C6C248382C.png

Hi mate 

note the pic 

low tide some good sand flats for yabbies here 

also keep in mind a full pilchard on jimmys beach light weighted might catch you a good flattie on the run in tide 

might have to put up with shovel nose shark and banjo sharks as bi catch 

but keep waiting- you never know 

Im pretty sure fishing from beach is ok of jimmys beach but by boat it’s not ok 

might be wrong but so many were fishing from beach day and night when I was there for 3 weeks 

04CF646C-6B5A-4961-B421-CDBFD8FEEE5C.jpeg

On 1/4/2020 at 2:52 PM, Josh edwards said:

@Josh edwards You need to look at the map legend to assess what is acceptable in the yellow habitat protection zone.

Edited by kingie chaser