Just a fishing report from the Port Stephens holiday period- including the flathead Queen

Aerialangler

Well as we have been doing for the last 13 years.

Heading to the Port Stephens area to get away from Sydney- Hawksnest side of the bay

Plan was- to spend time with family- and fish when I could

Weather was great- and the big NE wind showed itself in the arvos

I also had a lot of extended family to take out for a fish- which was good fun

Anyway, long story short spent some time in the bay- some good bream in the myall river Squid on the surface targeting whiting in the Myall river- no whiting on surface

A few trips to Broughton and got some good pan sized snapper biggest 50cm

An amber jack at one stage

Unfortunately lost the big Red- Hook bent and flattened- fishing too light a drag and leader - yes blame myself for that It began with a massive run from the fish wondering when it would stop- when it did, I was relieved but then a few heads shakes as I was gaining some ground and that sinking feeling of no more weight on the line- very disappointing as it was after so many hours of of casting

Spent one night at Broughton anchored in the boat in coal shaft bay, escaping the NE one night

Only to have the wind turn through the night to SW blowing straight in at about 30 knots

Was very happy that the anchor held in the early morning

We caught blue swimmers too in the myall river - best was putting traps in of a night and checking them at first light

Nice surprise to have an octopus in one in the morning- great addition to the paella

Trag were there too SE of Broughton in about 60m on the reef areas but lots of baracouta slicing and dicing the rigs- a bit frustrating losing many fish and rigs on way down and up

The last night we were there, we fished Jimmy’s beach

We had fished it a few times before only to catch the old common shovel nose and some good whiting- sometimes crowded with swimmers and fisherman

Fishing with whole pilchard and a small running sinker I was teaching my daughter (6) to fish

We had caught a few shovel nosed sharks and small tailor that night and on the last cast we had a good bite- it was just on dusk very low visibility

She screamed “ it’s heavy dad!!” And I just said “don’t let go of the rod!”

After a few minutes of drag screaming and reeling in and some splashing, I traced the line in with my hand as she kept winding near the shore, I was shocked to see a big flattie come up with the slight wash of the beach. Now it was leader vs wash and weight of the big girl vs the little girl. While my daughter was winding I eased the fish up with the wash and edged it up with my hands to dry ground I was so proud that she kept winding and didn’t dropped the rod in the sand - proud dad moment

Will never forget this one on one moment with my little girl

She said to me “ I had this funny feeling in my stomach I haven’t felt before” as she pulled the fish to shore

I’m not sure if it was the rod pushing into her tummy or a little adrenalin running through her young blood

It was the highlight of the holiday with some hard fishing amongst the crowds including me- part of the holidaying crowd

I hope this is this is the beginning of her passion for fishing- expensive and time consuming as it may be!!!!

She ended up with the biggest fish of the holiday!!And it was her first proper fish-  My Flathead Queen- well thats what we call her now 

Thanks for reading

Squid.jpg

Bream.jpg

3 Snapper.JPG

Mixed bag 2.JPG

4 Snaps.jpg

Mixed bag.jpg

Trag.JPG

Flathead.jpg

• Like 11

That’s a cracking report Kent. You definitely put in a few hours fishing whilst up here. You certainly caught a good variety of fish and that flatty from your little girl is a beauty! Congrats to you both. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Sounds like you had a great vacation and managed to get out fishing quite a lot. What a wonderful moment for your daughter and you to land that decent Flattie, hopefully she will remind you of the event sometime in the future. Maybe she will be a keen offsider who will join you on your trips to the water...gotta be better than being stuck to electronics all day. Great report and pics mate. Cheers, bn

On 1/5/2020 at 5:53 PM, Berleyguts said:

Great report and a stonker of a flathead for your daughter! Well done!

Was that squid caught on a Nilsmaster????

@BerleygutsI don’t think that was the lure 

it was some sort of Berkeley top water, bent minnow style lure 

probably way too big for whiting but I was thinking a flattie might go it 

• Like 1