New Years day

JonD

Got a bit of power back now, luckily a change of wind saved our neighbourhood.

NY morning dry electrical storm at the front of the house.

_JDP9051.jpg.996ee4e60e65f412d84e5a8bbfec8c71.jpg

Fires at the back

_JDP9054.jpg.e11a644f772d59c19dc1d41cfc8ecd5b.jpg

Mid morning turns dark and torches needed to get around the house.

_JDP9056.jpg.1491a0df120f319d9afbd7f79beb8bf2.jpg

_JDP9057.jpg.494867fef750688967a147ef6d5456bb.jpg

_JDP9085.jpg.d26901d12063e4ba9f200ca7559cf3ad.jpg

Time for scrabble!!!

_JDP9071.jpg.0cdec3e68b81a0889090b9259a323c3c.jpg

_JDP9074.jpg.93913b22a342fb3983a9e1b7db8405b0.jpg

Now time for family to leave.

_JDP9072.jpg.18f9c45c7c059579c740a1fae78a66db.jpg

Images from the middle of the day.

Smoke becomes to thick for photos as I prepare the home incase fire reaches us. Fire crews state our neighbourhood will be lost as the fires to large and widespread to defend. Power gone, tourists gone, all phones gone, tv towers gone for several months so no way of knowing whats going on around. Check to see if the food in the two freezers is covered under insurance only to find we have no insurance due to changing to a new credit card a couple of months ago Aliance closing our account without notifying us and no way would they renew it even though we are long time customers.

Wind changed, so now we are in the clear for a while. Many friends have lost their properties and even some lost their lives. We are far from out of it but hope to have a fish tomorrow!!!

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Stay safe and also everyone els down in that area. May I also point out how the fires have moved down the coast, starting in south Queensland and have gradually started moving further south each time - Is there a scientific explanation to this?

• Like 1

Jon. hope you and the family stay safe and the fires pass by. My home away from home ( Cobargo ) 10 acres scorched fences lost.  2x horses escaped and went into next paddock to safety, shed scorched but saved, like you there is no power no phones etc, mate has generator but no petrol in area so when the geny runs dry that's it, maybe there may be fuel in the area by then. On a selfish note my fishing shed was saved. 

Frank

• Like 6

5 hours ago, frankS said:

Jon. hope you and the family stay safe and the fires pass by. My home away from home ( Cobargo ) 10 acres scorched fences lost.  2x horses escaped and went into next paddock to safety, shed scorched but saved, like you there is no power no phones etc, mate has generator but no petrol in area so when the geny runs dry that's it, maybe there may be fuel in the area by then. On a selfish note my fishing shed was saved. 

Frank

Unfortunatly a few lost their lives in that one, very sad times.

Glad to hear you made it through the firestorm Jon, but also sad about your friends. These fires have been taunting us for months and like the 2001 fires up here, I think they'll continue to do so until we get substantial rain.

Pretty piss poor form from Alliance regarding your freezers, especially during times like these. They certainly don't live up to their name.

• Like 1

@JonD I have been wondering how you guys got on down there. 
I hope you get the insurance sorted. I read that the insurance companies are being very helpful and speedy with assistance.

Hopefully all your beautiful photography is in cloud or digital storage. 
Stay safe there and thanks for letting us know your situation

Donna

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@JonD I have been wondering how you guys got on down there. 
I hope you get the insurance sorted. I read that the insurance companies are being very helpful and speedy with assistance.

Hopefully all your beautiful photography is in cloud or digital storage. 
Stay safe there and thanks for letting us know your situation

Donna

NRMA let us open a policy that will commence tomorrow, Aliance who we had been with for years refused to renew until after the fires.

After talking with a local builder heavily involved with the Tathra fires, he claimed NRMA were really good in totall loss, no squabbling claims.

• Like 6