Tuesday 7 Jan 2020 - (rat) kings are on!

anthman

Hi all, was in middle harbour near the spit bridge (western side) and found a bunch of suspicious looking seagulls bunched up and floating on the surface. No bust ups, no hive of activity, just a bunch of birds sitting on the water. Looking very much like a bunch of fishos sitting on a gold mine - and oh boy were they!

Setup a drift to end up passing through them, killed the engine and dropped a couple of yabbies (my favourite) down on poor man downrigger rigs.

The sounder looked promising - bait clouds moving by with solid arcs around midwater. 

We drifted over where the birds were and... Zzzzzzzzzzz! Rod buckled and reels were screaming (using 2500 and 3000 reels on 10-15lb braid, 3-6kg rods). 

During the drifts we also hooked up using 20g slow jigs as well as the trusty 6" slapstix (copies of).

A memorable session on light tackle!

• Like 2

Hold on, catching kingfish on yabbies? That’s something I need to know more about.

You mean nippers, the things you pump out of local sand flats?

and you are drifting and using a downrigger, so is this like really slow trolling of a yabbie in midwater ? Just one yabbie on a small hook?

cheers

Volitan

2 hours ago, Volitan said:

Hold on, catching kingfish on yabbies? That’s something I need to know more about.

You mean nippers, the things you pump out of local sand flats?

and you are drifting and using a downrigger, so is this like really slow trolling of a yabbie in midwater ? Just one yabbie on a small hook?

cheers

Volitan

Yep, nippers that you pump out of sand flats!

Drifted with a suitable ball sinker locked into the leader with three loops of the leader through the sinker (poor man's downrigger) to about 40cm of leader before hitting a 5/0 mustard demon circle hook. Single yabbie, around 5-6cm if stretched out, on the hook.

Set around midwater, though you may need to go deeper or shallower based on what the sounder is reading back, middle is safe.

Dead or alive, it didn't matter, just as long the shell holds so that it can survive the drop, retrieve and current.

• Thanks 1