Time22

Finally got a Barra

Posted (edited)

We are on a road trip from the Central Coast to Airlie Beach. First stop was near the Gold Coast (2nights) for the missus and 3 daughters to shop.

Second stop 4 nights at Hervey Bay I fished the Pier at Urungan a couple of morning and afternoons. Could see a few  Mackeral and Queenfish but none would take livies or lures didn't see a fish caught the whole time there. Tried around the Marina same story.

Third stop Yeppoon for 4 nights only fished twice the marina and causeway still no fish on bait, livies or lures. 

4th stop Mackay Big4 for 3 nights they have there own fresh water dam. 1st afternoon here lost 3 lures and lost 2 fish. Next morning only hooked up and landed 3 Tarpon. Lost 2 fish in the afternoon. Up at 5:30 this morning finally got my first Barra at about 6am. Fifteen minutes later my daughter turns up for a go after 5 casts gets one herself( first time she had cast a line the whole trip) 

IMG_20200109_071014.jpg

IMG_20200109_165908.jpg

Edited by Time22
  • Like 15

Good stuff and I see you have the right Shirt on to.

Geez it seems there was some tough fishing as well, perseverance paid off.

26 minutes ago, Time22 said:

We are on a road trip from the Central Coast to Airlie Beach. First stop was near the Gold Coast (2nights) for the missus and 3 daughters to shop.

Second stop 4 nights at Hervey Bay I fished the Pier at Urungan a couple of morning and afternoons. Could see a few  Mackeral and Queenfish but none would take livies or lures didn't see a fish caught the whole time there. Tried around the Marina same story.

Third stop Yeppoon for 4 nights only fished twice the marina and causeway still no fish on bait, livies or lures. 

4th stop Mackay Big4 for 3 nights they have there own fresh water dam. 1st afternoon here lost 3 lures and lost 2 fish. Next morning only hooked up and landed 3 Tarpon. Lost 2 fish in the afternoon. Up at 5:30 this morning finally got my first Barra at about 6am. Fifteen minutes later my daughter turns up for a go after 5 casts gets one herself( first time she had cast a line the whole trip) 

IMG_20200109_071014.jpg

IMG_20200109_165908.jpg

Good on ya nice fish

Great report and photos.

That's a long road trip although getting to fish all these different places would be very helpful. Good to see that you and your daughter managed a barramundi. Hope the rest of the trip provides some more good fishing opportunities for you. Good luck and safe travels. bn

13 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Good stuff and I see you have the right Shirt on to.

Geez it seems there was some tough fishing as well, perseverance paid off.

Thanks Blackfish 

Was wearing the new shirt for luck. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

Good on ya nice fish

Cheers Quintrex, first ever Barra for me and my daughter so absolutely stoked. 

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

That's a long road trip although getting to fish all these different places would be very helpful. Good to see that you and your daughter managed a barramundi. Hope the rest of the trip provides some more good fishing opportunities for you. Good luck and safe travels. bn

Thanks Big Neil, my daughter's catch was a highlight 8lb braid 10 pound leader with a small zman grub. 

• Like 1

Awesome!! Hopefully you can get amongst a few more on your trip! 

Cheers

Rah

23 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Fantastic report and pics. Love to see Dads and daughters fishing together :)

Thank you Mrsswordfisherman 

2 hours ago, Rah said:

Awesome!! Hopefully you can get amongst a few more on your trip! 

Cheers

Rah

Thanks Rah, hoping to get out here at Airlie in between sightseeing and the kids swimming. 

• Like 1