Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli early this morning. A couple of early tailor, but just under sized, and only 1 yakka caught, so cut it up for strip baits. Also had salted tailor fillets and pillies.

The flattie and reddies caught on those baits. The reddies are just over legal, though don't look it in the photo, amongst the many that were under. A couple of nice sized crabs as well.

I later headed to Maianbar flats and pumped nippers to catch the whiting wading in knee deep water. Not many whiting there, only one more under sized one. Also pulled out a duskie just under 20cm, probably the smallest one I have caught.

Many boats out there today.

fish.jpeg_219.thumb.png.7418572f14e1e0aaba6a785d4638f3ad.png

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sillek70 said:

Nice quality feed mate, how do you catch the crabs not being able to use traps in the hacking.

I use fillets of fresh fish, such as the yakka, or fish heads. The crab will usually slowly move off with the bait, so it is a matter of slowly pulling the line to the boat until the crab is just under the surface, then scooping it up with the landing net.

The fish fillets will also catch various fish, whereas the fish heads may attract eagle rays. Those rays take off like rockets when hooked.

• Like 1

Thanks For the reply Yowie, We have fished for crab like that in lake Illawarra and was very productive, patience and finesse is the key. I have heard of people using stockings with bait inside, not sure if it’s legal or how well it works.

4 hours ago, Sillek70 said:

Thanks For the reply Yowie, We have fished for crab like that in lake Illawarra and was very productive, patience and finesse is the key. I have heard of people using stockings with bait inside, not sure if it’s legal or how well it works.

Nothing illegal about a stocking.

When I was a kid, a couple of old Italian blokes fished off Yowie Bay wharf with fish heads in a stocking. The crabs would grab the fish heads and the nippers would temporarily catch in the stocking. The old blokes slowly pulled up the crab, then grabbed one of the nippers and flung the crab onto the wharf. Experience needed to avoid getting grabbed by the other nipper.  :074:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nothing illegal about a stocking.

When I was a kid, a couple of old Italian blokes fished off Yowie Bay wharf with fish heads in a stocking. The crabs would grab the fish heads and the nippers would temporarily catch in the stocking. The old blokes slowly pulled up the crab, then grabbed one of the nippers and flung the crab onto the wharf. Experience needed to avoid getting grabbed by the other nipper.  :074:

Bahaha, don’t want to get caught in the claws of a crab 🤕 buggers have got some power and don’t let go. 
Was Yowie Bay named after you Yowie 😂

16 hours ago, Sillek70 said:

Was Yowie Bay named after you Yowie 😂

That would be a good story, but it was named well before my time.

It's original name was Ewey Bay, then later changed to Yowie Bay, and the original name goes back to the late 1700's around the time of European settlement.

I have a book called, "Echoes From the Bay, The Yowie Bay Story" written by Merle Kavanagh. My father receives a very short mention in the book, but I will leave it at that.

15 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Into em’ again Yowie! I’m sure the fishing will improve further as the crowds die down! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie.

Yes, I'm waiting for February and March when the crowds die down. Also the crowds slow down at the beach from March onwards.

The pannies I caught would probably be used by you as livies. :074:

36 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Is that snapper on the bottom legal size?

Yes. I measured it twice. It looks under because I took the photo to it's left, as I was trying to keep my shadow out of the photo.

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Yes. I measured it twice. It looks under because I took the photo to it's left, as I was trying to keep my shadow out of the photo.

I thought so 👍 

nice catch BTW, the crab top left is a beautie

13 hours ago, Sillek70 said:

Do you bleed all your fish straight away, noticed in the photo that they all look that way 

Most fish are bled straight away. Removes a bit of excess blood, more desirable in fish such as tailor, kingies, tuna species, and also put them out of their misery.

37 minutes ago, wrxter said:

Yowie,

How do you prepare the snapper for eating?

Thanks

Same as most of my fish, they are filleted and the bones removed. My family does not like any bones in fish - I keep reminding them that the fish need bones to swim, but the argument falls on deaf ears.

I will even fillet garfish and flounder - flounder takes a bit of time and practice.

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Same as most of my fish, they are filleted and the bones removed. My family does not like any bones in fish - I keep reminding them that the fish need bones to swim, but the argument falls on deaf ears.

I will even fillet garfish and flounder - flounder takes a bit of time and practice.

Shame they don't appreciate the bones mate.  Fish cooked one the bone beats a fillet any day of the week for me - especially as you get to hunt around for all the bits in the heads and collars.  Whiting are especially good cooked whole.

• Like 1