flattys plastics

dunc333

I'd use 20lb leader as any ligher will give serious risk of a big flathead fraying you off. About 10lb braid and a matching rod is about right, as bearing in mind some of the jig heads will be quite heavy and there is a chance of a jewfish or kingfish grabbing the lure.

yes what i have and thoughjt ok but pro guides saying 4ib braid and 8lb fluro leader ,they reckon you will increase catch rate by double so thats why i asked the raiders. but i am going to give it a go this weekend and report back

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 5:44 PM, dunc333 said:

yes what i have and thoughjt ok but pro guides saying 4ib braid and 8lb fluro leader ,they reckon you will increase catch rate by double so thats why i asked the raiders. but i am going to give it a go this weekend and report back

20 LB leader doesn't seem to put flathead off. The larger lures used will tend to rule out leader shy species like bream anyway. And I wouldn't want a 8lb leader if a big jewie grabbed my lure.

Edited by kingfishbig

Personally i wouldn't go above 14lb for flatties using lures.

I use 3lb braid and 6lb leader, most of the flatties i catch are between 55-65cm and have no issues with getting cut off as they're all lip hooked (unless i'm not holding my rod and they've had time to swallow it)

I use a Shimano Raider Travel 703 Spin rod 2- 4kg.

Run 6lb braid with an 8lb mono leader, very rarely loose a fish due to being bitten off. Largest caught so far with this combo was 74cm.

Mostly fish in less than 1m of water so other species not really an issue.

SHIMANO RAIDER TRAVEL 703 BREAM SPIN ROD