Montague Island fishing buddy

Fatbastard

My regular fishing mate has gone under the knife and will be out of action for some time.  Therefore I am keen to find someone who is interested in hitting Montague Island and surrounds over the next couple of months.  Mainly chasing kings (with little success it has to be said) and perhaps some beaky types once they appear.  I have a relatively new 5.3 Brooker runabout with a Merc 80hp four stroke and all the gear.  I can handle the boat single handed most of the time but prefer company as it just makes it more enjoyable.  Accommodation is organised at no cost just split the fuel/ bait costs.  Person experienced in actually catching kingfish would be excellent.  I am resident in Canberra, accommodation is just south of Moruya leaving an early morning half hour run to the ramp at Narooma.  Now the Kings highway has reopened I'm keen to get down there as apparently the kings are around!!!

The way the kings are right now you would need to fish without hooks not to catch them. Most of the kings are in the 85-95cm with plenty going well over the 120cm. I'm pretty lazy in the fact I rarely get on the water before 9am but still easely get among the fish. With these bigger fish over the last few days you need to ensure your gear is up to scratch or it could can end up costly in jigs. One of my daughters friends speared a 34kg model this week and she's managed a few around 130cm. Yesterday I got smoked by several bigger fish I couldn't slow down even on my bigger marlin gear!!!

The billfish are hotting up, though I missed out yesterday due to pulled hooks on a couple.

Not sure how busy I might be when you do head down here as I have friends heading over for a month of fishing from the UK, as well as fitting in trips with my kids. If I'm able to help out I will, good luck.

That's good news I guess!!  I've got overheads and stand up sticks (15kg) which will hopefully stop some of the smaller models.  I'm hoping to go next weekend depending on the weather and hope they are still around, thanks for the info.