Big Estuary mullet help

SaltyGreek

Been fishing a spot close to home for mullet lately for bait and for fun. There are always fish around with many of them being thick large mullet. I have only ever caught 1 mullet here which was on a soft plastic which got snagged behind the head. There are so many there but they don’t like to bite anything. They don’t eat bread or dough even with burly. Same story with a little creek nearby, never caught one even with heaps of them around. Even tried a trap and none of them go in again even with burley. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong as the technique I use works well for me on the south coast. Any help or tips on how to get them would be great.

Edited by SaltyGreek
  • Like 1

I used to catch them during the night  with bread, from my experience, must be some current, burley up with lots of bread, and you will hear the water boiling around the floating bread. Use the smallest float you got, 6-8 size hook, 10-20cm leader. When you put bread on the hook, make sure not to squish it, otherwise mullet will not bite, after cast out, let the current bring the bread to them, you will feel they are bitting, most of the time mullet will set hook by themselves. Mullet is great fun to catch, fantastic bait for big bream, Jew and Me.

cheer. 

• Like 2

My guess is that the mullet are Sea Mullet. They rarely bite on anything, though very occasionally one will have a go at some bait.

The one you caught on the plastic was probably swimming along and you accidentally snagged it behind the head.

• Like 2

You could try either hamburger mince or uncooked bacon fat. Have caught plenty of Mullet on mince when Yakka fishing and we used to use the white bacon fat for Mullet if they weren't biting on white bread when I fished the upper Georges River as a kid. Sometimes squirt worms are ok, as are the tiny shrimps you get if you run a prawn net through the ribbon weed (pretty much all estuary fish eat them), but for convenience, try the white bacon fat

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

My guess is that the mullet are Sea Mullet. They rarely bite on anything, though very occasionally one will have a go at some bait.

The one you caught on the plastic was probably swimming along and you accidentally snagged it behind the head.

I was fishing for flathead and bream when I caught that mullet. Man I thought I hooked a huge flatty or little jew

• Like 1

I used to catch big mullet regularly in the Shoalhaven River on gluten, a byproduct you could obtain from a local factory. They went crazy over this stuff and fish up to 4kg were common.

Perhaps you could try making a dough out of gluten flour https://www.affordablewholefoods.com.au/shop/gluten/. I guess you could also used the flour as berley if the mullet are on the surface and its not too windy or mix it in with breadcrumbs.

• Like 2

They can be caught now and then on all sorts of bait and lures, but, the only consistent method is a bread fly and burley, I get them when they school up on the beach in front of my place, but, in lakes and rivers they can be tricky, even though you can see hundreds of them, even on fly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I used to catch big mullet regularly in the Shoalhaven River on gluten, a byproduct you could obtain from a local factory. They went crazy over this stuff and fish up to 4kg were common.

Perhaps you could try making a dough out of gluten flour https://www.affordablewholefoods.com.au/shop/gluten/. I guess you could also used the flour as berley if the mullet are on the surface and its not too windy or mix it in with breadcrumbs.

To add to this, guys in St Georges Basin  get them on bread by berleying heavily around the weed edges and fishing their baits under light floats. This is in lake like conditions (no current) and it often takes half an hour on more for the mullet to tune into the floating bread. They catch plenty of good bream and luderick at the same time.

So the message you get from this, is after spreading your berley be patient and give the fish plenty of time before moving onto the next spot.

• Like 2