Broughton snapper

Peter Nelson

Decided to head to broughton this morning for a quick session before the southerly blew up.

Went to get get some livies hoping for slimies but struggled, not sure what's going on but didn't get any, I normally  have no trouble, ended out with some yakkas and 3 small bonnies all caught at the same time on the bait jig, they tested me. Also i caught my biggest bream  but threw him back as it's a only bait gathering allowed  where I went.

Went to broughton and picked my first drift, threw out a slab of Bonnie while i put a plastic on the other rod, before I got it out of the packet the slab bait got hammered, peeled a heap  of line off before it busted me off, the leader was chaffed up bad the whole length,  probably a king im thinking.

Got 1 snapper 35cm then changed spots.

Threw out a livey and started casting plastics, was just about to do another drift when bang the livey was off.

After my earlier bust off I was crossing my fingers it wouldnt happen again, after some big runs I was thinking kingy, then shark and then a 90cm snapper came up, quick net job and couldn't send @Scratchie a photo quick enough.

A few more drifts and lost 2 livies , both missed the hook, one was pretty decent looking as I came up and monstered  the livey on the surface and had a massive big swirl when it hit,.oh well.

Feeling pretty content tried for a few squid before the wind came up, got 5 green eyes.

The selfie photo is a bit blury unfortunately 

Good day out

squid.jpg

snapper 1.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200117_143834745_crop_2904x2549.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just awesome champ! I’m pretty stoked for you as I said! That’s persistence. Always pays to drift a livie behind you. How many times have you been up there and not got a touch all day? Then you lose 4 or 5 baits in the one day. 
Thanks for sending me pics whilst I’m working 😢 It really hammers home I need to be richer or chuck more sickies! 😝

Good on ya mate! Talk soon 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Great stuff, Peter! You put in the effort and it paid off in the results! Those bonnies would have been a handful on the bait jig! Just be careful at Cabbage Tree as I know someone who was fined for catching bonito for bait there. I thought it was yakkas, slimies and gar only but I could be wrong. So glad to hear you had a successful day. I’m still at work. But, then I’ll probably wait til the crowds have gone home anyway!

Edited by Berleyguts

20 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report & photos, that’s one cracker of a red & good way to finish up with a nice bag of green eyes 👍

would that be your pb 

I think it's close,  my best one was 11kg when I was living in south Aus, which I didn't measure  the length.

I only had a crappy little scale that maxed out at 6kg to measure this one, it was over that. I measured the head and frame once I gutted,gilled and filled and it came in about 5kg.

Definitely  my biggest in NSW 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

think it's close,  my best one was 11kg when I was living in south Aus, which I didn't measure  the length.

I only had a crappy little scale that maxed out at 6kg to measure this one, it was over that. I measured the head and frame once I gutted,gilled and filled and it came in about 5kg.

I guess that would put it around the 10+ mark nice, the way PS has been going over the last few months it might be the new snapper capital 😁

34 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

I guess that would put it around the 10+ mark nice, the way PS has been going over the last few months it might be the new snapper capital 😁

Definitely  at top place mate, I don't live there but takes me about 50min drive, well worth it.

I wouldn't have got that fish without the help of others like @Scratchie and @Woodsy1

I'm bottom bouncer from way back and I'm  glad they have shown me  some new techniques .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Decided to head to broughton this morning for a quick session before the southerly blew up.

Went to get get some livies hoping for slimies but struggled, not sure what's going on but didn't get any, I normally  have no trouble, ended out with some yakkas and 3 small bonnies all caught at the same time on the bait jig, they tested me. Also i caught my biggest bream  but threw him back as it's a only bait gathering allowed  where I went.

Went to broughton and picked my first drift, threw out a slab of Bonnie while i put a plastic on the other rod, before I got it out of the packet the slab bait got hammered, peeled a heap  of line off before it busted me off, the leader was chaffed up bad the whole length,  probably a king im thinking.

Got 1 snapper 35cm then changed spots.

Threw out a livey and started casting plastics, was just about to do another drift when bang the livey was off.

After my earlier bust off I was crossing my fingers it wouldnt happen again, after some big runs I was thinking kingy, then shark and then a 90cm snapper came up, quick net job and couldn't send @Scratchie a photo quick enough.

A few more drifts and lost 2 livies , both missed the hook, one was pretty decent looking as I came up and monstered  the livey on the surface and had a massive big swirl when it hit,.oh well.

Feeling pretty content tried for a few squid before the wind came up, got 5 green eyes.

The selfie photo is a bit blury unfortunately 

Good day out

squid.jpg

snapper 1.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200117_143834745_crop_2904x2549.jpg

Ripper fish mate.. You deserve it

Well done Peter great days fishing and any time you can make Scratchie feel envious is a great day in my books. Thanks for sharing and . 50 min drive, it almost takes me that long to get to Botany or the Hacking, I would love a great fishery like P S to be that close.

Frank

14 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Definitely  at top place mate, I don't live there but takes me about 50min drive, well worth it.

I wouldn't have got that fish without the help of others like @Scratchie and @Woodsy1

I'm bottom bouncer from way back and I'm  glad they have shown me  some new techniques .

I’m just over 2 hours away but getting access to my other half’s daily drive is tricky, like you I’m an old school bottom bouncer & it was a bummer the PS raider meet was washed out but great all the same, would love to learn the techniques & try them down here

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

I’m just over 2 hours away but getting access to my other half’s daily drive is tricky, like you I’m an old school bottom bouncer & it was a bummer the PS raider meet was washed out but great all the same, would love to learn the techniques & try them down here

Hopefully we have another catchup raiders meet and get amongst a few👍I'm still persevering with the plastics, havnt gone too good yet but it'll happen,  hopefully 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Woodsy1 said:

Top fish Pete, well done. Thanks for the mention, how good is it when your up there by yourself and all the different emotions you get when you catch fish like that.
Woodsy

Your not wrong mate, got my heart pumping  and tested my multi tasking  driving/fishing when I had to chase it for a while

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Great report Peter, I’m heading up in a few weeks, hope the bait grounds are performing better by then

They will be mate, get bait fairly easy but I'm just having a bad run, plenty of yakkas but I prefer slimeys,  sometimes I'm impatient  and don't look around enough

• 1 month later...