Mini speed boat build

As I cannot find where the heck I started...

Here's a few pics of mini boat build. It's come a long way since acquiring a while back. Top and bottom hulls almost complete. Transom still getting work.

Will start with 25hp on the back.

I will add photos in extra comments.

IMG20200118103741.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got first coat paint on top and bottom hull, happy as.... But due to cold weather, could take a week or more to dry before second coats.  Still....it's looking good👍

Woohoo. This thing flys! Needs some tilt adjust work to hold the nose down, but wow. We took a few videos from Shore, I will upload them later. 😁

Well...the mercury is P...ING me right off. So ive put itin a corner for a while... I got this 84 model Johnson 30hp seahorse ,  for a very good deal. After, apparently 5 years sitting, it starte

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, found where I was up to, I roughed fitted things today, found the steer cable too long, so getting shorter one next week. This is a snug thing, will be for speed , not comfort.

seat is on rails and adjustable for wife driving and idiot driving.

I will add another photo in comments.

IMG20200208143126.jpg

IMG20200208143142.jpg

1 hour ago, Swordfish40 said:

I was in my shed working on my swordfish when i found this we should have a race one day

cool, I nearly bought a swordfish bike before I found this, it cost me petrol to bring home. 

how far is yours along? 
do you have a few photos or build vlog?
Ive got a page on facebook of progress, will link that in next comment
its being built for the wife, but myself and or my older son will use it as well.
Bit far to travel for a race :D as Im in Sydney and you are listed as South Australia

Ill check and get some pics after work. Iv been working on it for about 3 years slowly. It was a freebie but had been sitting for 20 years hope to take it out this weekend for a test. Its way over powered with a 40hp suzuki 

• Like 1

Cool. Armed with a 40 it should absolutely rocket along.

I'm going to start with a 25hp Evinrude on mine. 

If, I don't find it dangerous enough 😁, I may look at a 30 or 40.

Although....there is a 55hp sitting in the garage....

If you do get some pics up of yours, would be good. 

I've been at mine since early November. It should be all done by later winter, early spring. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We took the mini boat out for a float test today, it sat well in the water with the 25 on the back, including another 20kg in the back to simulate weight of fuel and battery, then took it for a quick run, but it kept jumping out of gear, but thats cool, but at a time, main thing it floats and sits well.

IMG20200509112357.jpg

IMG20200509112505.jpg

IMG20200509113736.jpg

• Like 4

this boat reminds me of the speed boats they used to have a Jambaroo Recreation park, they had 9.9hp I think and a throttle on the steering wheel. Great fun.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

this boat reminds me of the speed boats they used to have a Jambaroo Recreation park, they had 9.9hp I think and a throttle on the steering wheel. Great fun.

that would have been fun

im honestly not sure of the history behind this one, except its an old jetski body registered as a boat, and ive got a 25hp on the back. 

manufacturer is listed as "swordfish" , but who knows.......

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Looking good Dave, look forward to seeing it all painted up & going full stick 👌

Jumping out of gear, just linkage adjustment?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Looking good Dave, look forward to seeing it all painted up & going full stick 👌

Jumping out of gear, just linkage adjustment?

theres a spring, that helps keep it in gear, there was no cable connected at the time, we just knocked the lever into gear and off we went.

the spring has gone soft, we stretched it out and put it back, lessened the issue, so I know what to look at later.

should absolutely fly with a 25hp on the back of a 9 foot boat, yes :D

I had not sealed everything up properly so some water snuck in, but not much, once its painted, it will be sealed up right 

Dave. next time you're around here remind me to give you some glue on rod holder brackets, they can hold rod holders, nav lights, bollards etc and interchangeable. With the slits you have for the steer cable bend at the rear of the boat , some fins like a 57 chevy would look good, maybe not so sharp though.

Frank

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Dave. I noticed you have removed the front bollard. Don't drill more holes to put it back on, these glue on brackets will fit anywhere on the boat so you can have good strong bollard for tying off or to anchor, plus the benefit to remove bollard and fit other attachments as mentioned above.

I think I still have 2 here that you can have. Had heaps but have been giving them away so think I only have 2 left.

947214836_bollardgroup2.thumb.jpg.cad405b57e5cb1bf3ce0744984c6f4c1.jpg

900825741_bollardgroup1.thumb.jpg.a7bd4bb8e1b856ebd82b5a68d24e6905.jpg

Sorry I don't have any of the rod holders left, but have bollard, anchor light ( which runs on battery's and has strobe light etc not that you will probably be out in it during dark hours.

Frank

Edited by frankS
added photos
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Looking good that’s going to be a fishing pocket rocket 

hehehee....with such a shallow draft, I am going to test it on Narrabeen and up lane cove river on the flats for a fish for sure :D

8 hours ago, frankS said:

Dave. I noticed you have removed the front bollard. Don't drill more holes to put it back on, these glue on brackets will fit anywhere on the boat so you can have good strong bollard for tying off or to anchor, plus the benefit to remove bollard and fit other attachments as mentioned above.

I think I still have 2 here that you can have. Had heaps but have been giving them away so think I only have 2 left.

947214836_bollardgroup2.thumb.jpg.cad405b57e5cb1bf3ce0744984c6f4c1.jpg

900825741_bollardgroup1.thumb.jpg.a7bd4bb8e1b856ebd82b5a68d24e6905.jpg

Sorry I don't have any of the rod holders left, but have bollard, anchor light ( which runs on battery's and has strobe light etc not that you will probably be out in it during dark hours.

Frank

thanks Frank,

yes I removed the front bollard, I am actually going to replace it with a stainless steel eye bolt and I will use a d-clip shackle thingy for the rope to clip onto, so when im about to take off, I unclip the rope off the eye bolt, gives it a cleaner look.

and when I get back to the ramp, I lean over the front, clip the rope on. I will have to put two bollards on each back corner though. same thing with underneath the front for the winch cable, a new eye bolt,

this boat will have a little anchor and all safety gear as well, extinguisher, and certainly have nav nights, as its a boat and might get taken out one evening :D, or might come home late in the afternoon.

its easy to paddle, we used a single paddle and we managed to get ourselves back to the ramp, apart from current pushing up, this thing weighs bugger all.

Ive not decided on fishing setup yet as its more a play toy for the family to take turns on. But a fishing test run will be required, will take the flick rod and some live earthworms for a fish around, nothing serious, the bigger pongrass is more dedicated fishing.

might find a stick on suction cap holder to make the rod holding better.

bit at a time...still thinking of a few minor changes as its soon going to get final prep for paint....

still aiming for September completion.

41 minutes ago, motiondave said:

hehehee....with such a shallow draft, I am going to test it on Narrabeen and up lane cove river on the flats for a fish for sure :D

It’d be perfect for Lanecove river upper middle Harbour & even the Cowan system with a couple of adjustable rod holders for trolling the drop offs along the flats, I reckon a kingy would give you a good workout at least you’d be comfortable 😁

• Like 1