Niall!! You little ripper!!

nutsaboutfishing

Following Niall's topwater write up, I purchased a Sugapen from Dinga and it arrived on Friday. Early Saturday morning went down to Blackwater Bay.

It was quite windy, but this didn't matter in the slightest  has a promptly back cast into a tree. With all the jiggling to free the lure and 6lb trace,  the line proceeded to break leaving my lure, a fish virgin, in the tree.

I repeatedly tried to knock the lure out of the tree with my rod,  getting nowhere I was beginning to despair and not think it could not get any worse, but proving myself completely wrong my two piece rod showed why it's called a two piece rod with the top half of the rod also getting stuck in the tree, no longer attached to the bottom half. It was stuck fast and I didn't want to risk damaging  it by just pulling. So I proceeded to start jumping and wacking the tree. If I jumped I could just hit the offending branch with the only part of my gear I had left, the bottom half of my rod (I coulda sworn I could hear the Benny Hill theme playing in the back ground). Eventually the part of the branch with my lure and half my rod broke off and fell to the ground.

Because I had back cast into the tree,  my bail arm was opening and I hadn't closed it, so with all the jumping a wacking the line was slowly playing out into the tree. I had a bird nest in the tree worthy of a bait caster. I retreated to lick my wounds.

This afternoon I did topwater fishing take 2 at my local, Tarban creek, there's no trees there you can back cast into. It began quite promisingly with a few follows, but I've read with whiting you continue to work the lure and with bream you pause, question is if you don't know what's following, what do you do?

Eventually I felt a bit of weight on the line and pulled in a small whiting. My first topwater fish, my lure was no longer a virgin!! Began casting again when I had a take that began to take line, felt like a monster!! After I bit of a strange fight I pulled in a foul hooked bream, my target species!! Had a few more casts, pulled in two tailor (on different casts), one of them bearly bigger than the lure itself.

All this was inspired by Niall's original post. All I can say is mate, if I hadn't already had them, I might've named one of my kids after you.

Hope you enjoyed reading,

cheers

tight lines all

Richard

IMG_1076.jpg

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Excellent - you should be writing scripts for comedy!

As previous responses have said its funny 'cause we've all done similar stuff, but not always got the lure back!!

Might get myself a sugarpen - and find a place with no  trees behind me to try it out.

4 hours ago, Ledge said:

Great post. I was literally laughing out loud reading your description of the back cast incident. Might have to give the sugapen a go.

If course you were laughing with me not at me

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Lol I think you should post that top bit in here & blame being tired 😜

I was up at up at about 5.30

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Excellent - you should be writing scripts for comedy!

As previous responses have said its funny 'cause we've all done similar stuff, but not always got the lure back!!

Might get myself a sugarpen - and find a place with no  trees behind me to try it out.

Not need to write scripts, just need a transcript of my life, for example how I accidentally gave my 11 year old daughter alcohol the other day.

If you want a sugapen get it from Dinga, great price, service and free delivery

• Like 1

HAHA!  This scenario is all too familiar for me.  The other day I was sat on the edge of the water with my legs dangling while I picked apart a giant wind-knot.  Ended up giving up and cutting about 10m of braid off my spool.  Dropped my braid scissors in the drink by accident, the proceeded to try and use my rod (with sugapen still attached) to retrieve the scissors.  Ended up getting the lure stuck and losing it amongst the oyster covered rocks.  Felt like an absolute Desmond all day until I went back at low tide the next morning and (miraculously) my lure and scissors were still there.

There's a couple of trees with my sugapens still stuck in them around Blackwattle Bay as well.  I guess Sugapens are so good even the trees love 'em.

Glad you got something out of my post mate.  Not sure how you can tell the difference between the whiting and bream hits as I've only ever caught one whiting on topwater and he nailed it first try (maybe this is common).  In my experience bream will have a couple of swipes before committing 9 times out of 10.  Never hurts to throw a pause in though - as far as I've heard the whiting will hit a lure on the pause no problem.  

Welcome to the topwater bream club mate.  You'll be chasing those boils behind your lure for good now - hopefully sugapens get cheaper over time.

Cheers!

Ah the Benny hill theme. I grew up with that theme and I still hear it regularly as well. Usually I hear it at the boat ramp when people are launching and retrieving. But when we are anticipating a bite we hear the Jaws theme right? Then when a nice fish hits the deck we hear the Rocky theme. Of course when we get a prize at a Competition we hear Freddy Mercury with “we are the champions”. Lol perhaps some people hear “ I want to break free”.😆. Loved your story your perseverance and determination, not only to catch the target fish but to fight the tree and win.