Murray cod tips anyone?

Will Wright

Hey guys im having a bit of trouble cracking the Murray cod. I’m fishing at my local dam straight off the dam wall and I’m using mozzarella cheese as bait. It’s a good spot because I’ve seen people catch big Murray cod here. If any of you have any tips to share that would be great?

- where to cast? (I cast quite far away from the dam wall but I’m wondering if I should keep the bait on the wall) 

-is mozzarella cheese the best bait? 

-best rigs?

- any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,                                               Will

Edited by Will Wright

Hi Will. Mozarella is a good bait for MC. Fish it on a 3/0 or 4/0 hook with a running sinker down to the hook or a paternoster rig (about 30 cms off the sinker). Other good baits are garden worms, live shrimps and live yabbies as well as chicken (breast or thigh, cut into chunks) Same rigs as for cheese. Shrimps and yabbies are best with a paternoster rig because these will dig into the bottom if they can. In dams you need to fish hard up against structure so close in to the dam wall or adjacent to trees. After rainfall the shallow margins are good with worms on either of the rigs previously mentioned. Take plenty of spare tackle with you as it's easy to lose it when fishing in close to structure where the fish often hang out.  Good luck.

ps. If all else fails head down my way and I'll put you on to some MC.

Cheers, bn

7 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Hi Will. Mozarella is a good bait for MC. Fish it on a 3/0 or 4/0 hook with a running sinker down to the hook or a paternoster rig (about 30 cms off the sinker). Other good baits are garden worms, live shrimps and live yabbies as well as chicken (breast or thigh, cut into chunks) Same rigs as for cheese. Shrimps and yabbies are best with a paternoster rig because these will dig into the bottom if they can. In dams you need to fish hard up against structure so close in to the dam wall or adjacent to trees. After rainfall the shallow margins are good with worms on either of the rigs previously mentioned. Take plenty of spare tackle with you as it's easy to lose it when fishing in close to structure where the fish often hang out.  Good luck.

ps. If all else fails head down my way and I'll put you on to some MC.

Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil, I will be going out tomorrow after today’s rain and will keep in mind fishing up against structure. Thanks for the info!