Hawks nest

longy509

Hi my wife and i are heading up to Port Stephens for a week this weekend and we are having trouble finding accommodation on the south side.I am just wondering if we stay at Hawks nest or Tea gardens  area how far is to the heads by boat or is there anywhere i can launch to head straight to broughton from the hawks nest side.

Thanks,

Longy

Hey mate, 

The only ramp that side is the Hawks nest/tea gardens ramp that gives you access to the ocean. That means you need to pass through the bay. I’m pretty sure there’s no beach launch until you get to seal rocks. 
It’s about 10kms to the heads. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

It’s also a bit of a slow haul down the river before you get into the Bay. I don’t know what your budget is but there is accommodation available on the south side. The long weekend would push the prices up - I can’t believe how much they are! I could take a 14 night South Pacific cruise for the price of an apartment  for a week (well, one ticket anyway)! I guess the other thing that makes it tricky is finding a place that has boat parking. I just checked booking.com and there is a 2 bedroom villa available at Shoal Bay Holiday Park for $1724 for 7 nights. You should be able to park your boat somewhere there. Good luck!

PS. I also just found a unit at Soldiers Point that says “perfect for small boat parking” for $1077.

Edited by Berleyguts

Cheers Scratchie & Berleyguts i think i might keep looking on the south side so i can scoot up to Broughten a bit quicker if the weather allows,

Your right Berley the biggest drama is finding one for the available dates  with boat parking close to the house so i can charge the batteries on the boat overnight and also not having to re mortgage my house at the same time for a week away lol.

2 minutes ago, longy509 said:

Cheers Scratchie & Berleyguts i think i might keep looking on the south side so i can scoot up to Broughten a bit quicker if the weather allows,

Your right Berley the biggest drama is finding one for the available dates  with boat parking close to the house so i can charge the batteries on the boat overnight and also not having to re mortgage my house at the same time for a week away lol.

You might get it cheaper if you don’t start your holiday until the Tuesday, I.e. after the public holiday. I never take holidays in peak times/school holidays, so I was shocked when I saw the rates!

We dont normaly go away on public or school holidays but unfortunatly with work tgis is the only time we can get away for a few months. We will have to pay a bit more but it will be worth it just to get out of Bathurst and get the boat on the salt water for a few days.

• Like 1

We have a house at tea gardens and launch there on our way out. Adds 10 or 15 min but we throw our crab pots out on the way anyways so works out well 👍. If you have a plotter you can cut across the sand flats at Jimmy’s beach to save a few K’s

Cheers for the advice everyone, we ended up getting a little place for the week at shoalbay just on our way up now.

Hopefully the weather stays good and the fish are biting.If any one is out and about on the water over the next week and wants to say gday shoot me pm.

If we are having any luck i will post a report during the week

2 hours ago, longy509 said:

Cheers for the advice everyone, we ended up getting a little place for the week at shoalbay just on our way up now.

Hopefully the weather stays good and the fish are biting.If any one is out and about on the water over the next week and wants to say gday shoot me pm.

If we are having any luck i will post a report during the week

Good luck mate! I remember going out with you one time a few years ago 🤔 

You ended up with a good Mac tuna if I remember correctly. Enjoy Port Stephens 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers mate we need all the luck we can get lol. Yeh that was me i had a ball fighting that mac tuna.We went for a quick run out to broughton today with not much  i was going to flick a few plastics around until i realized i left them all in  bathurst grrr so we just fished with bait for a few little flatties then tried for some squid at jimmies and shoalbay had a couple of followers but no takers. i think i might have the day on land tomorrow and take the missus to newcastle for the day.Then get back on the water monday and try again when the traffic has calmed down it is bloody chaos at little beach ramp/