Best boat ramps for beginners

NewbieBoatie

Hey there!

I am a newbie boatie. If weather is good this Sunday, I'm hoping to take the boat out! We're a bit nervous though, with the whole boat ramp situation. 

Where's the best boat ramp for beginners near me? I'm based in Blacktown, NSW. I read that Woy Woy was a good one for Central Coast-ers. Any more closer by? 

Edited by NewbieBoatie

Before you head to a boat ramp hook the boat up and head to your local shopping centre after hours. Practice reversing and parking with the trailer on to build up your confidence first.

Ramps can be daunting places the first couple of times especially on weekends when they are busy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NewbieBoatie said:

I'm based in Blacktown, NSW.

The ramp at the end of Rydalmere is a good one, just beware of the river cat ferries, but if you look up and down the river and launch when they are not around it will be a easy launch.

If you do have the trailer in the water and a river cat comes past don't worry to much just hold the boat down and wait for the 4 waves to pass and then proceed to launch.

Rhodes ramp is also another ramp, its a little quieter than Rydalmere and the ferry wash isn't as big as the ferries are slowing to stop across the river at Meadowbank.

Remember everyone started out fresh, just take your time, Do your checklist (Bung, Straps, Battery on, bow rope) if nervous let anyone around you know its your first time and you will find they will lend a hand and help.

Don't release the safety chain until the trailer / boat is in the water

I would also put the engine on the ear muffs / tank at home and start / run it before leaving, saves sitting at the ramp with a motor not starting.

Deep breath and relax it will be great.

Long weekends can be extra busy, 

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 3

Hi and welcome to the site. For practice at the ramp If I were in your situation I would be heading for the ramp behind Flower Power at Milperra. Spend some time there and put the boat in, take it back out, drive around the car park back down to ramp put boat back in, take boat back out and repeat this practice a few times and you will find you get better at it each time you drive around the car park. Not busy there most times during week days but lots of jetskiers etc on week ends.

Frank

I can't help you with specific ramps but here is some general stuff, If you let us know the type of boat and tow vehicle we can probably help a bit more for locations.

You want a ramp that is not too steep, that does not have cross current movement or waves from other boats/ferries etc. A quieter ramp would be better for obvious reasons. If you have a station wagon or car that you can open the rear door/boot etc (not a ute or sedan) you are often able to see the wheels of the trailer and this helps alot when you are trying to reverse the trailer. If you only have a small boat you will hopefully be able to man handle it on/off and to/from the trailer when at the ramp. If this is the case i suggest a ramp that has a sandy beach right next to the ramp. Then you can tie a long rope to the bollard on the front (where the anchor rope ties to) and push the boat off the trailer and then guide it up onto the sand for parking the car and getting in and out etc and then walk it up onto the trailer to clip on the winch cable to wind it back on again. This is alot less stressful than trying to man handle a boat from a pontoon or jetty past rocks to or from the trailer. 

If it is just a little tinny on a trailer it will be lighter than you think, so if you can't get it quite straight on the ramp getting it down close to the water you can cheat and drag it sideways to straighten it up. You will be surprised how easy it is to drag a trailer sideways on a slippery ramp. If the trailer is in the water and not quite straight it is even easier as the tyres are slightly buoyant and make the trailer even lighter to drag. This is obviously not part of your long term game plan but keep it in mind if you are stressed that you cant'quite get it straight after repeated attempts and feel under pressure.

When you get to the ramp carpark,  but before you get onto the ramp itself (sometimes they have bays for temporary parking/preparation) make sure you are all ready to go when you actually back down the ramp. Take off any removable trailer lights/lightboards, tie down straps, PUT THE BUNG IN, tie on the bow rope that you will use to pull it to the beach and have that rope untangled and neatly (and loosely wound up) sitting in the back of the car and preferably the holding end tied in a loop and that loop hung over the winch post (not obstructing the winch). This is so if the boat shoots off then the rope tied to the trailer will catch it if you aren't fast enough to grab the rope. Have an anchor ready at the front to push into the sand on the beach to secure the boat while you park the car. When you get onto the ramp proper you should only have the winch cable and safety chain attached so they are the only things to sort out when you are at the water's edge. Do not undo either of these until the boat is hanging over the water in a position that it will land safely on the water if it comes off the trailer when you undo them. Undo chain first and then back the winch off and lower it in (don't get hit by the handle).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewbieBoatie said:

Cheers, but I do know how to Google search. ;)

Then go & have a look at them!!

You can usually get a good view of a ramp from google street view. 

Apart from that you got to be there to test the waters!

Edited by kingie chaser

21 hours ago, motiondave said:

@NewbieBoatie
Try Five Dock Bay Drummoyne, as its free and is three lanes, in a bay so you dont have to worry about wash from ferries or river current.

Or, if you dont mind paying for parking, the one at Bayview Park, end of Burwood Rd, again in a bay area and now river or current to worry about.
they are the more common I use, mostly Five Dock bay 99% of the time.

But Ive also gone to Davidson Park Rozelle (access to middle harbour), Parsely Tree Boat Ramp, Hawkesbury - Brooklyn .

Awesome - Five Dock Bay sounds perfect.