First Boat Opinions

leronzia

Hi,

have been around forums, first time poster here and recommending opinions on what boats ive narrowed to my last few options as a first boat. Please let me know opinions.

Quintrex Renegade 460cc 

seajay Navigator 469

stacer outlaw 489

polycraft brumby 4.8

stessco renegade 460

horizon 525 scorpion

anglapro bandit 484/sniper 484 (look really good)

will test drive all but want opinions.

All boats mainly PFB use and light offshore when weather permits.

fishing 3 sometimes 4.

what i think are best so far are the anglapros, polycraft and seajays (overpriced.)

if you think any other better boats sub 30k brand new or sub 25k used aluminium or poly. Lemme know, but also give opinions on above

Edited by leronzia

It's pretty hard to compare boats of different sizes, your range is from 4.6 to 5.25m there is a big difference in those, the Quintrex is a 460 compared to the Stacer (made by the same company) at 485, even life jacket laws differ in those two. 

I have a Horizon 525 Scorpion.

Bought it new 3 years ago and use it for everthing from family boating in the port hacking to fishing out wide to the fads and am happy with it.

I have fished out of a 4.5m polycraft and found it a very capable tough little boat, also very wet.

Ash

Welcome aboard.

I think that most of the time, bigger is probably better, particularly if you are heading offshore. Anything over 4.8m means that you have the option of fishing solo with out a life jacket on.  A bigger boat means that you might need a bigger tow vehicle. If your trailer has brakes then you'll need a yearly inspection and the rego is about $100 more. A bigger boat may also mean that you have a bigger engine and fuel bill and it may stop you getting somewhere in estuary fishing.  Alloy is a bit more forgiving for new boaters hitting something than FG.

i have a 5.8 metre second hand StreeFree  alloy boat, and i love it. 

No advice about the differences in your selections, the above is intended to give you extra things to consider after you've decided on your fishing style and have narrowed down your list a bit more. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get and the photo of it!

As others have said, that’s quite a variance in boat sizes. My suggestion is to decide what size boat you want and work from there. I have a Stacer Outlaw 449 and love it! I mainly fish solo and it’s easy for me to handle on my own. I have fished 3 in it but with only 2 seats someone has to tough it out sitting on the esky, the rod storage locker or the forward or rear casting platforms - not usually an issue in the Bay but they (not the skipper!) may find it a bit uncomfortable offshore. I would like the extra length of the 489 and would probably choose a centre console over my current side console, ideally with an eski style seat that will fit my wife or fishing partner beside me at the helm... my wife finds it a bit wet in the other seat forward and portside of the side console at times! 😂

1 hour ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

I have a Horizon 525 Scorpion.

Bought it new 3 years ago and use it for everthing from family boating in the port hacking to fishing out wide to the fads and am happy with it.

I have fished out of a 4.5m polycraft and found it a very capable tough little boat, also very wet.

Ash

How many can u fish on it :)?

Well my main considerations considering are after some comments

anglapros bandit/sniper 484

Renegade (quintrex 460)

horizon 525 (the cuddy cabin! But not sure how much space it takes need to fish 3 sometimes 4).

Seajay Navigator. 4.68

Poly. 4.8

still a lot lol

anymore opinions?

Edited by leronzia

I have just upgraded to a Renegade 460 with all the fruit from a cuddy cabin and couldn't be happier. Spent over 12 months looking around getting a feel for the different offerings and price points.

Things I learnt over the last 12 months;

• Don't rush it
  • Decide on what you want to do with boat, fish, family days, etc.
  • Decide on where you want to do the above.
  • How much do you want to spend, don't forget the extra's.
  • Involve everyone who is likely to use the boat as well (wife, kids)

Bigger is not neccesarily better when you consider storage options, using it one up, towing, the list goes on.

Price is a generally a big consideration for everyone. What I found is i could get the Renegade anywhere from sub $30K up to just over $40K. Why the difference in price? The main seemed to be the motor that was fitted anywhere from a 50hp up to a 75hp. You are better off with a slightly smaller boat with the max recommended hp rather than a bigger boat with a lower than recommended max hp.

The other difference in prices was the options fitted, keep in mind it will be more expensive to fit options after you have purchased.

One thing I wanted was a full transom and found only a couple of boats had this at that size.

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by Renegade460
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at a new Boat also.  I was originally leaning towards the the Quintrex 460 Renegade SC, though I am now favouring the Stacer 499 Crossfire SC.  

Anyone own a Crossfire?  

The only other thing is what motor I have read the E'Rude Vs Yamy thread and I'm still not sure which way to go LOL.

24 minutes ago, AdamA said:

Looking at a new Boat also.  I was originally leaning towards the the Quintrex 460 Renegade SC, though I am now favouring the Stacer 499 Crossfire SC.  

Anyone own a Crossfire?  

The only other thing is what motor I have read the E'Rude Vs Yamy thread and I'm still not sure which way to go LOL.

Hello Adam,

From what I understand with the Telwater range is the Stacer Crossfire is equal to the Quintrex Top Ender and the Qunitrex Renegade is equal to the Stacer Outlaw.

All are great boats, but I personally like the additional accessories and equipment levels of the Qunitrex Top Ender or the Stacer Crossfire.

After having used both the Etec and Yamaha motors. I prefer the ETec over the 4-stroke.

• Like 1