Peekay

What fish is this? (Black Rabbitfish/Spinefoot)

Question

1467FEBD-A784-4E1B-B687-4123E532C8F7.jpeg

Edited by Blackfish

11 answers to this question

Goes by a few common names but its  Black Rabbitfish and those spines are poisonous so be very careful when handling them.

• Like 1

Thank you, we released it but did not know it was dangerous 

As bad as a bullrout

They go by a few different names, in QLD they are known as "happy moments" meaning if you get spiked, be prepared for some "moments" also commonly called Black Trevally, the sting seems to vary, I have been spiked, and the pain was OK, but I have seen people in serious pain from them.

I've been done by some small ones when trying to release them and they certainly hurt but had a mate who got done by one about 600 grams, he was in serious pain.

So as @noelm said it seems to vary.

Haven't been done by a Bullrout yet and I hope I don't.

Often known as black spinefoot  or happy moments   as said handle carefully  or not at all

If you ever get stung by these pouring very hot water on them is supposed to reduce the pain...I think not getting stung is the far better option.

Go along with Jiggy as far as the hot water is concerned.

The wife was stung on the finger some 20 years ago, intense pain , required a tetanus shot and water as  hot as she could bear, to relieve the pain.

They used to be in large numbers in Sydney Harbour and were very annoying (to us) when Luderick fishing as they swarm weed bait and strip the hook in seconds, if they were at a Luderick spot, you'd have to change locations. 

At White Rock in Sydney Harbour there used to be a few guys that purposely fished for them with Kelly rods, tiny bobbies and a bait of dough mixed with green weed. They handled them with tongs and kept them to eat. Most of their fish would be 10-15 cm long, but they caught them rapidly as they were easily turned on to berley of same bread and weed.. They reckon they are really good to eat, but treated as a serious pest by Luderick fishers

We've always called them Happy Moments or Black Trev's/Spinefoot