What fish is this? (Black Rabbitfish/Spinefoot)

Peekay

Question

13 answers to this question

They go by a few different names, in QLD they are known as "happy moments" meaning if you get spiked, be prepared for some "moments" also commonly called Black Trevally, the sting seems to vary, I have been spiked, and the pain was OK, but I have seen people in serious pain from them.

They used to be in large numbers in Sydney Harbour and were very annoying (to us) when Luderick fishing as they swarm weed bait and strip the hook in seconds, if they were at a Luderick spot, you'd have to change locations. 

At White Rock in Sydney Harbour there used to be a few guys that purposely fished for them with Kelly rods, tiny bobbies and a bait of dough mixed with green weed. They handled them with tongs and kept them to eat. Most of their fish would be 10-15 cm long, but they caught them rapidly as they were easily turned on to berley of same bread and weed.. They reckon they are really good to eat, but treated as a serious pest by Luderick fishers

We've always called them Happy Moments or Black Trev's/Spinefoot

Probably best to be really cautious with most saltwater fish 'cos you don't really want to find out if you are more or less allergic to their toxins. I had a terrible reaction to being spiked by a humble Gurnard.

Good post this cos not only do we get the fish identified, but we find out a lot about their habits. Keep up the good work people.

bn

• Like 1