A bit of everything today

big Neil

Greetings folks. I've had a lovely day down the 'bidgee today. There was a really good run of water coming down, levels were up and the water temp was 24.5c. Although the day was overcast I caught a stack of fish and left them biting when I made a hasty retreat during a particularly nasty thunderstorm. Even that wasn't too bad though, as the weather was in the low 30s and the torrential downpour was quite refreshing. Murray Cod, Trout Cod, Yellowbelly and even an unlucky turtle. Plenty of bites from Silver Perch but didn't manage to hook any of those. As usual I lost a fair bit of gear among the snags but thoroughly enjoyed the session. Main bait was cheese though shrimps from my new aerator also worked well. Just shows how picky these fish can be when the shrimps were successful but combined shrimps and worms were ignored. Such is life. Cheers, bn

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Morning Neil.  I have heard that cheese is good bait for Murray Cod.  Is that correct and if so, do you know why?

It is indeed. A lot of conjecture but I believe that it gives off a scent which Cod can pick up easily and home in on. Cod are NOT discerning eaters and have been caught on all sorts of weird baits. Their eating habits are a bit "feast and famine". They eat lots when hungry and may not eat for quite some time afterwards. bn

8 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Thank you for that information.  I have been told that the cheese attracts scrimp and the Cod go them and in doing so eat the cheese.  Is that a plausible  explanation?

To some people yes. I'm NOT one of them though. Consider this:

The cheese gets taken by a cod within seconds of hitting the water. No time for shrimps to zone in on the cheese.

Shrimp hibernate in cold weather yet cheese is still a very effective bait in cold weather.

Whenever I've caught Cod on cheese there is ONLY CHEESE in the Cod's mouth...no shrimps

And lastly... the shrimp gather round the cheese and a Cod approaches. The shrimp scatter while the Cod "mouths the bait". The shrimp are not going to come back while a Cod is deciding to eat the bait.

Rather, I think, the cheese provides something which the Cod likes (fats, oils, protein???)

Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I spent about 4 hours fishing the same stretch today. Very slow going compared to yesterday. Still a good flow in the water but the temp was down a few degrees. The fish only started biting once the sun was on the water. We still managed another 8, most of which were Trout Cod. Most on cheese but a few on live shrimp. bn

• Like 3

Neil, I have read your post and it is most logical.  I agree that the shrimp would bolt when the Cod came sniffing around.  You have caught many Cod and have never seen shrimp in the Cod's mouth when you have used cheese for bait.  I feel that you have dispelled another fishing myth.  The Cod just love the cheese and perhaps a salted cracker with tomato and ham.:gathering:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neil. Not unusual for you to have to bolt during a downpour, at least that is my experience while fishing with you 😎. Good read and keep getting among them, will be down there some time this year to share your boat for sure.

Frank

• Haha 1

They're still biting. Just got back from a land based 3 hr session and left them biting again. Another 8 smallish Murray Cod but good fun. Even though they're on the small side they know how to head straight for the snags. Got some live shrimp so may have an early session tomorrow morning while Susan has a sleep in. bn

• Like 2