Lord Howe Island

LuckyFil

A long time since I visited, so cannot remember the charter name. Caught plenty of kingies, and a better flavour than ones over here.

When I last visited - 1983 - I took a bag of bread to Ned's Beach - no fishing allowed - threw the bread onto the water and looked from underneath with goggles. A few large sweetlip turned up, silver drummer, mullet and many others.

The Gulch is a good place to fish, only problem is a trek over a small mountain, not good in fading daylight. Floated out bread crusts, no sinker, and pulled out some silver drummer. Best was about 5 pound, and lost one about 8 pound at the rocks. I was using a small rod and 8 pound mono - all I could fit into the bag for the plane flight - but when the drummer grabbed the bread crusts from the surface, I let them run out a fair way into open water, tire them out then bring them to the rocks and wash them up - not easy to do.

The jetty in the lagoon produced some garfish and a few drummer.

• Like 1

The jetty holds heaps of garfish, drummer and even bluefish (legal on LHI). It's really interesting to watch the resident drummer, they're wise to the fact a floating piece of breath may have a hook in it, they smack it with their tail a few times to break it up before striking.

The spot called Old Gulch is a hot spot for landbased kings, garfish are there too and make a good bait.

You could even take a kayak around the lagoon and throw lures for reef species.

Its been a while, but Too Shop used to sell an envelope of fishing spot, the Jetty and Gulch were on it.

Dont miss the daily fish feeding at Neds Beach, metre plus kingies being hand fed leftovers from the guesthouses in knee deep water.

• Like 1

I went there in the ‘95 as a kid and had a ball fishing off the jetty. The gars were really something else. They were large, numerous  and tasty.

The silver drummer were also present at the wharf and were a constant source of amusement for me as they would only take floating bread on ultra light line...recipe for bust offs.

I also got a reef shark off the wharf one night as well.

We did a charter. We got four and kept two around five kg a piece. when we booked to go with it was through the local shop.

PM FOR DETAILS

Kayaking in the lagoon with lures sounds like a great option. If I ever go there again that would definitely be on the cards.

Enjoy the trip. It’s a magical place.

Edited by Rah
No charters mentioned unless site sponsor
  • Like 1

+1 for Lord Howe Island charter PM FOR DETAILS.

Double header wrasse the only place to catch one and keep and eat

Blue fish the only place to be able to keep one and eat it too they are delicious.

Massive drummer, trevally, kingfish and other reef fish plus he is a great bloke.

We also went out with another charter. PM FOR DETAILS.  more Trevally, kingfish, amberjack, bonito, sharks and mutton birds.

There weren't any kingfish to hand feed at Neds beach when I went there a couple of years ago. Controversially they had been killed by the parks and wildlife ranger because it was deemed they were in poor condition. Still a million other fish there and a food dispensing vending machine that had proper fish pellets that are the healthy option.

Edited by Rah
No charters mentioned unless site sponsor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...