Port Hacking - mixed bag

Yowie

Headed out to the deep off Lilli Pilli early this morning. One thing that started biting straight away was the mossies. They were still going at sunrise - have not seen them like this for years.

Apart from that, I used freshly caught yakka strips for the trevally, reddie and flounder. Also pulled up 1 crab but it was a female so released. I caught a couple of small pillies amongst the yakkas, so put them out on a ganged hooks and pulled out a kingie about 60cm, and had a hit from a second one but no hook up. I lobbed out a live yakka hoping for a bigger one but no hits, just swimming practice for the yakka. No surface action to be seen, just the pillies splashing away.

Moved to Maianbar and pumped some nippers. Waded around the boat for not one bite, so hopped back in and drifted near a patch of weed for the whiting, bream and a legal tarwhine - not many legal ones about. The tarwhine is just below the flounder for those new to fishing. Called it a day and headed home.

fish.jpeg_222.thumb.png.63a64a64dcb808d25995663872318bc7.png

• Like 8

nice mixed bag indeed
how do u cook your trevs?, cooked one up awhile ago and it was meh. good fighters though.

yeah mozzies were bad the other day aswell, i wonder why.
do you drop your yakkas to the bottom and give them a few cranks up and how did u catch the pillies? always wanted to catch them

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Good haul. Something is better than nothing.

I'm happy with that lot. Bream, reddie and tarwhine fillets tonight in a lime juice/peppercorn/ginger sauce, and whiting and flounder fillets in a few nights. Mum is having the trev fillets.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

nice mixed bag indeed
how do u cook your trevs?, cooked one up awhile ago and it was meh. good fighters though.

yeah mozzies were bad the other day aswell, i wonder why.
do you drop your yakkas to the bottom and give them a few cranks up and how did u catch the pillies? always wanted to catch them

The best size for trevally is right on legal size, once they become bigger the flesh dries out a bit.

I have tried them pan fried - skin and bones removed from the fillets - BBQ fillets not too bad - a bit of lime/sweet chili  sauce - or mashed into fish cakes.

The first decent drop of rain for a while - the water accumulates in plant pots, drains, and any where else - and the mossies have started breeding. A few mossie spread viruses will start popping up shortly.

Just let the yakkas swim where they want to, no sinker used. A small hook, no sinker, and a small bait for the yakkas and sometimes the pillies swim into a bit of bread burley and grab the bait.

Small pillies today. A few weeks ago, the pillies were around the 25cm mark. I kept a few for eating, strong flavour in the fillets when bread crumbed and pan fried, but good omega oils for the diet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bardi said:

Trevally make great Sashimi .. Bit like Kingfish

Have not tried it, however, mum sometimes cuts off a bit of fish that I give her and eats it raw, no flavourings for her, just raw fish.

20 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

I don't mind a mixed bag a few different tastes and it makes for an interesting meal. 

I haven't been out in the hacking for a while might give it a try early next week. 

The boats and jet skis should slowly ease off, but not just yet. My pick is the whiting, tomorrow night for those fillets and the flounder fillets.