What does it all mean?

big Neil

So what do the "fish species" underneath our sign in names mean? Do they change and if so when and why?

Not exactly "the meaning of life question" but it tweaked my curiosity enough to ask.

Looking forward to the answer as I psyche myself up for another trip to the Murrumbidgee.

Cheers, bn

ps. if anyone wants to comment on the "meaning of life issue", that could be an interesting subject too.

OH, and just to add, not too sure on the meaning of life business, but I know that if you're on the wrong side of the grass, something went wrong! My old boss had a saying for every occasion, and about getting old, he would say things like, "beats the alternative" or " better to be over the hill than under it"  life is what you make it, some of us are dealt a good hand, some are not!

• Haha 1

Neil. It's all to do with post count. Yesterday I was a Snapper, today I'm a Jewfish.

Thousand posts crept up on me and didn't notice till you put up this thread/question. 

On the site I run we don't have post counts so nobody has more posts than anyone else, not that it matters one way or the other we are all members and all have the same rights to post as we feel fit as long as it's within the rules.

Frank

• Like 1

I think there is a little more to it than just post count because if you look at the leaderboard some people have very similar post counts but are different levels.

Apart from post count could be something like how many times you have won the day, came second or 3rd etc.

There is no legend on here that I can see but @mrsswordfisherman would have a table on it somewhere I'd say?

Post count is irrelevant imo anyway.

Quality not quantity rules :thumbup:

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Neil. It's all to do with post count. Yesterday I was a Snapper, today I'm a Jewfish.

Thousand posts crept up on me and didn't notice till you put up this thread/question. 

On the site I run we don't have post counts so nobody has more posts than anyone else, not that it matters one way or the other we are all members and all have the same rights to post as we feel fit as long as it's within the rules.

Frank

True about everyone having the same opportunity to post /comment Frank. Amazing the depth and variety of things to be learnt on here with all the different sub heading and skills of the contributors. Reckon I've learned a heap of things and continue to do so.

To those who told me the meaning of the "fish icon" thank you.

motiondave I love Monty Python. An absolute crack up most of their work.

noelm. Your old boss sounds like he? had it sussed. Definitely living and moaning about the cards you got dealt is better than not being able to play cards at all.

Thanks for the interesting replies folks, bn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I think there is a little more to it than just post count because if you look at the leaderboard some people have very similar post counts but are different levels.

Apart from post count could be something like how many times you have won the day, came second or 3rd etc.

There is no legend on here that I can see but @mrsswordfisherman would have a table on it somewhere I'd say?

Post count is irrelevant imo anyway.

Quality not quantity rules :thumbup:

Howdy kc.

I have to (nicely) disagree with you on part of your post. Post count as a statistic is not greatly relevant but SOMEBODY who reads a particular post may gain some benefit from it, whereas somebody else may not. When we have so many members with such diverse levels of knowledge and ability it's good to have plenty of information provided. That way individual members can benefit from finding something which is of interest to them.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

The secrets are usually found using a search! This post of 11 years ago explains it and I added more ranks after that. 
People reached more than the highest rank including swordie who actually attained rank of swordfisherman! 

I was looking back through some old posts today & came across many things & 1 of them was a congratulation on the forum/site being 10 years old.

The post was dated 2014

The fact this site has threads from 2004 makes this site one of the biggest resource informative sites I know of?

People, guests, members, new & old just have to stop & smell the roses some times & look back, not what you want to do today or tomorrow.

Some great info in here that goes back a long way...………...……………………..that's history & knowledge right there worth looking at 👌

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take a look at your profiles 

Here is my reputation. I get lots of “thanks” and “likes” on things I post.

As admin/community manager I engage with the community in ways other than fishing reports.

It isn’t about how many posts or fishing reports. It is about your contribution to our community. It isn’t a game to “keep you interested”. 

I can turn off these features at any time if you don’t find it to be of benefit or interest. 

There are members on here that never post but they encourage others. Number of times the post has been read is also indicative of its value. 

5692853C-DE02-40D9-9EE8-F3B01D01CC42.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

It isn’t about how many posts or fishing reports. It is about your contribution to our community. It isn’t a game to “keep you interested”. 

I can turn off these features at any time if you don’t find it to be of benefit or interest. 

Well Im not shy of giving my opinion so here it goes-

Why change it if it ain't broken  😀

• Like 1

Cheers for taking the time to post that Donna. I reckon the site is running very well. I love it. It provides me with a way of staying in touch with what's happening on the saltwater aspect of fishing, being as I seldom get to the coast. I also manage to stay in touch with people who I class as friends, even though I haven't met some of them yet. Probably still getting new members come onboard with different interests and opinions. As everyone keeps saying, it is the #1 site for all things fishing with a lot of other stuff which can tweak our interest. We can only hope that it keeps going for ever. There's a lot of anglers out there. bn

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

True about everyone having the same opportunity to post /comment Frank. Amazing the depth and variety of things to be learnt on here with all the different sub heading and skills of the contributors. Reckon I've learned a heap of things and continue to do so.

To those who told me the meaning of the "fish icon" thank you.

motiondave I love Monty Python. An absolute crack up most of their work.

noelm. Your old boss sounds like he? had it sussed. Definitely living and moaning about the cards you got dealt is better than not being able to play cards at all.

Thanks for the interesting replies folks, bn

Yes he was male, some things I remember (from over 30 years ago) never buy anything that eats. never show fools and women things that are half finished. A closed mouth gathers no feet. Never lend your mower or your wife, they will both come back,( I won't continue with the rest)! if you lend a friend money and you never see them again, it was money well spent.

13 hours ago, noelm said:

Yes he was male, some things I remember (from over 30 years ago) never buy anything that eats. never show fools and women things that are half finished. A closed mouth gathers no feet. Never lend your mower or your wife, they will both come back,( I won't continue with the rest)! if you lend a friend money and you never see them again, it was money well spent.

LOL some good ones there noelm. Why keep a dog and bark yourself? The grass is always greener (not in Australia).

Post some more if you think of them. Cheers, bn