Kayakers.... a call to arms

krause

Hi all,

Long time since my last post. For context I kayak fish when I can, with decent intent to chase Kings, other pelagics and general "go-fast-fish".

Just a call out to any and all kayakers on the forum. Once upon a time we organised a few small meets, and met some friendly faces along the way. Whilst there is a kayak section on the forum, its generally pretty neglected. Maybe to kick start some interest in the topic we should through our names into this thread, Along with what we fish for or what we'd like to catch. There is an ever growing kayak community out there and some of them have to exist on here.

-------------------------------------------

To start, I kayak out around headlands throughout Sydney/Wollongong with the general focus of catching my hoodlum. Despite my efforts the buggers drag me into the cliffs or find the bottom every time. Plenty of smaller kings and pelagics as collateral in the process. Whilst I prefer areas with blue water, waves and less crowds, I do venture into the systems from time to time, from chasing salmon in the harbor to freezing my ass off trying to catch hairtail at midnight in the hawkesbury. My most recent trip saw over a dozen fat and healthy rats landed in pretty ordinary conditions at one of my regular haunts where on the way out I watched a nice 3.0m shark cruise past.... my first code brown!

Whos next......

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krause said:

Whilst there is a kayak section on the forum, its generally pretty neglected. 

Yes & no.

Most yakers put their fishing time into fishing reports section like we all do.

When it comes to people looking for general advice or input on the subject they go to the yak section.

Plenty of stuff being posted by kayakers in both sections if you look for it & actually post!

Good luck on the kings, it would be an experience to be dragged around on one of those things by a big fish!

And yeh if a saw a shark that was as big as the vessel I was on then I would have to be washed down with the boat 😂

Good luck out there 

• Haha 1

Hey mate only new to Yak fishing have only really chased bread and butter on the flats around Botany Bay and took it away at Xmas to Bateman’s Bay and produced some nice feeds of flattys. Australia Day weekend took it to Wyangala dam and managed 4 cod. Enjoy all these types of fishing thinking of fishing the George’s River for Jew and flatty regularly until I build confidence in fishing out of it. 

cheers 

Katoe 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Plenty of stuff being posted by kayakers in both sections if you look for it & actually post!

Thanks mate...

Tagging is a solid idea that ill use moving forward, but I'm just trying to shake the tree and see what falls out. Even if its an "aggressive" shake, which I apologize for. Its less about reading archived kayak posts, more about hearing new names or rediscovering old ones, and maybe organizing a meet up. But someone has to start the dialogue....

Glad to see a few new names already. I started in the Hacking, waking up at 2.30am to get out of Yowie Bay with live baits at sunrise. Hahaha I was very dedicated, but it was good fun in protected waters where I could learn what the hell I was doing. My first king came from the point out of Yowie.

I still fish the eastern areas of Botany and have actually seen some of my best fish in there! There are a few convenient options to get into some kings in there but this time of year it can be like a parking lot on weekends! But you do what you gotta do. Allot of kayaks out there these days, maybe weve chatted in person without knowing it?

Port Kembla down south is another excellent hunting ground for aspiring yakkers, I remember a meet we did down there that was plagued by rats. Its normally a reliant haunt with lots of options present, from nice kings through to soapies and flaties (the reports will be somewhere).

Cod are something Id love to chase, I've only ever held one but it was from my old yak. Sadly I think I've doomed such ambitions with my new yak as its just too damn long for timber infested fresh water.

Maybe with a few more names in the pot we can organize something at one of these locations? Ahem Derek, Allenf, HenryR, Dynabolt, Bigrod, Razzle, Lungfai, Dirvin and so on

Conversation inspires conversation

• Like 2

Port is holding the usual rats and the mixed hoodlum or two, with Bonnie's providing in between bites entertainment. 

Bass Point has a higher chance of hoodlums but they play dirty with the shallow waters. 

Been mainly rock fishing as the Yak has become home to hundreds of redbacks, don't have the heart to evict them 😂

On 2/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, kiwibrown said:

Hi Krause,

Had my kayak for a couple of years and mainly hang around middle harbour. Still learning every time but have had a few decent fish in it. 

you wouldnt happen to be the person who caught a jewfish from a donated squid and came around to brag about it last month? 😂

Edited by whiskey299

On 2/6/2020 at 4:23 PM, krause said:

Come on mate, take the redbacks out fo a tour of the port, theyll love it. Ill have to find time when the weathers good and hit the stones down your way. I dont do it enough anymore

Might have to soon, Bonnie's and legal kings are firing up, and the crowds have come calling, barely any room to cast metals and when I do, it gets caught up on a float. The minute you get to untangling you lose your rock spot 🙄

On 2/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, kiwibrown said:

Unfortunately not

Lol, anyway I might see you on the water one day. I hang around middle harbour too, but I've only had the yak for a month (2019 hobie outback) and only been out twice. The weather conditions recently have prevented me from wetting a line and I am itching for a fish. I still have so much to learn, fishing from a yak is very different compared to land based or boat. Casting from a seating position I find uncomfortable as I am so used to standing up. I really do enjoy the freedom of fishing from the yak, I can go anywhere and explore spots inaccessible from land.

A few questions if you don't mind me asking

• Wondering how do you fish middle harbour and what techniques do you find most effective?
  • Where do you launch from? So far it's been Tunks Park for us and I would like to find other spots as some of these boaters are just a pita. 
  • What's your best catch so far?

If there is anyone else who fishes middle harbour it would be great to organise a session on a weekend or weekday (will need advance notice to take leave from work). A session at North Head would also be good but I think I need a bit more experience on the water first.

Edited by whiskey299

Hi whiskey, I'm by no means any sort of expert. I spend a good deal of time untangling my rods or removing hooks from various parts of the yak and my body...

I now take 3 rods. One with a sabiki specifically for livies, one set up with a lure/plastic for any bust ups and a bigger guy to target kings etc with the livies. The lure set up doubles up for bottom bashing for anything while I have (or don't have) a livey out.

I also go from tunks ( to my favourite spot) or launch from the spit by the rowing club. Clontarf also. 

Have got two kings so far and a couple of very large flatties. 

Every time I go there will be some interesting incident...a school of kings under the yak, catching an octopus...a bit of topless beach action

Kayak fishing in the harbour is awesome

Have had a Hobie Adventure for 9 or 10 years but think it has been out of the garage once in the last 2 years. Car with the roof racks was written off by hail and it took some time to get around to sorting a replacement. Didn't want to spend hundreds getting racks for the other car I knew we were not going to keep. Now I have the car sorted but with life/wife commitments and the weather/water quality of late there has not been a lot of opportunity.

Best king so far is 113cm  a few years back from North Head. Having the Hobie allowed me to turn the yak and head for cleaner bottom while fighting the fish which I think is the only reason I got it to the yak on 30lb braid.

Usually I will either be live baiting for kings or trolling for bonito or flatties depending on conditions. Would also like to get a handle on snapper.

Always happy to have someone to fish with but my trips are often planned last minute. If am heading out I usually check the forums to see if there are any meets but have not made any so far.

Rob.

Edited by sharknett

Sounds like North/Middle harbor might be the go?

Though I do have a hatred for fishing systems, the traffic and the learning curve... bleh! But ill always give it a bash, you never know! Maybe we can recruit Derek as our guide to middle harbor?

If people are game / feeling safety in numbers, Northhead is always worth a shot. I'm familiar enough with the area though I'm not one for secret spots. I just troll live baits around and hope for the best. And I ignore people like sharknett who have landed monster kings :P Ill blame my losses on not having a hobbie and getting towed into the rocks as a result. But real yakkers paddle ;) 

I was down south in Lungfai's backyard over the weekend and ended up with a nice mixed bag of rat kings, salmon, big bonnies and even a little mac! A good day on the water with no company due to the forecast and recent weather. Back at the ramp at 9 right before the southerly came threw. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, krause said:

Though I do have a hatred for fishing systems, the traffic and the learning curve... bleh! But ill always give it a bash, you never know! Maybe we can recruit Derek as our guide to middle harbor?

If people are game / feeling safety in numbers, Northhead is always worth a shot. I'm familiar enough with the area though I'm not one for secret spots. I just troll live baits around and hope for the best. And I ignore people like sharknett who have landed monster kings :P Ill blame my losses on not having a hobbie and getting towed into the rocks as a result. But real yakkers paddle ;) 

I was down south in Lungfai's backyard over the weekend and ended up with a nice mixed bag of rat kings, salmon, big bonnies and even a little mac! A good day on the water with no company due to the forecast and recent weather. Back at the ramp at 9 right before the southerly came threw. 

makes me want to go outside the heads even more! Inexperience is getting me / not really having the balls to cruise outside the heads. i will get out there one day! Is current & back wash from swell hitting cliffs and whatever ever a issue?
also do you get your lives in the kayak or just at a local wharf? 

Down south has all the cheat codes activated, hardly open water. A good spot to test yourself in a bit of swell with local company and safety near by.

Current and backwash can present problems but like anything you choose your conditions wisely. You shouldn't be out there if conditions are uncomfortable. What denotes suitable conditions depends on the location, and your understanding of the area. You'll almost always have swell and backwash to deal with but you get used to letting the kayak rock side to side and going up and down as well as whats a safe distance from the cliffs and what areas are to be avoided.

For example North head always feels very rough on the way out to Old Mans Hat and I've seen people turn around because of it, but its always more comfortable past OMH in the primary swell. I also swing very wide around the SE corner of the headland as I don't like to risk going surfing. A suitable level of scepticism and following others will get you a long way in learning whats where.

I always collect livies from the yak, and as a result I generally fish areas where live bait is reliable and on the way out. Actually that's another reason I find fishing systems a pain, paddling to find live bait can be a real effort especially if it is mobile or variable.

19 hours ago, krause said:

I'm keen to try North Head, safety in numbers for sure.

When trolling live baits around do you use a down rigger or poor man's version? I ask because I will need guidance in that area. I have a hobie and haven't landed monster kings from it or from land, just happy to hook something legal from the yak. 

Lets make clear i don't land monsters, but I guess that's the goal.

I just run a poor mans down rigger. No room for real down riggers on the yak and towing that resistance would prove painful. A poor mans does the trick though, if they're marking on the bottom then ill hit the brakes and get the bait down there. North Head has never proven fruitful for mass numbers of rats for me, I generally would get one solid hit a trip and that was it, alongside whatever I could spin up along the way. Though I don't frequent the area as much as I once did